Talk

Advanced search

Putting out log burner

(14 Posts)
alwayswantchocolate Sun 03-Dec-17 21:20:52

We have lit a fire in a log burner which we inherited when we moved into our new home. We’ve read loads of things about how to keep the fire going but can’t find anything on how to stop the fire at bedtime.

Do we push the air slider all the way in? The instructions say not to do this but is that because it assumes you want to keep it going all night or some other reason?

Twickerhun Sun 03-Dec-17 21:22:11

Let it burn out?

SallyOMalley Sun 03-Dec-17 21:24:58

Shut the air vents (we have two, one too and one bottom. Some just have one). The lack of oxygen will slow the burn. It's safe to leave it like this.

CisCucumber Sun 03-Dec-17 21:24:59

Why do you want to put it out?
We close the vent and let it carry on heating slowly
If it's very cold we put fuel on and keep it burning slowly with the vent closed

HeyMacWey Sun 03-Dec-17 21:25:01

Just put your last log on about an hour before you think you'll need to go to bed and just let it go out over night.

Don't worry about moving the air slider.
It'll only take an hour or so to go out and then you'll get the residual heat from the burner itself warming the house.

MsHomeSlice Sun 03-Dec-17 21:25:09

We stop putting wood on ours about an hour and a half before bed, and it just burns itself out

I give a cursory glance to it before bed and off I go

I suppose if it was roaring away I might damp it down, but you should get used to how it burns and know roughly when to stop feeding it, so it is done for bed time.

Hulder Sun 03-Dec-17 21:28:45

We've never put it out. We start letting the fire go out some time before we go to bed as it gets so warm we don't need to keep putting logs on.

It then just goes out slowly by itself, sometimes a log is still smouldering when we go to bed but it's safe in the burner.

alwayswantchocolate Sun 03-Dec-17 21:55:21

Thanks! I think I was over thinking it!!! It’s almost out now think I just need to get used to it!

Bluntness100 Sun 03-Dec-17 22:08:20

Yes, I was like this when we first used ours. My husband who was used to them thought I was a little nuts and kept saying “it’s perfectly safe blunt”.

Anyway, we have a new one, we just push the vent thing in and it starves it of oxygen. We have an older one also and can’t quite work it out, so just let it die out by stopping feeding it

Hulder Mon 04-Dec-17 12:41:55

We don't even use the vents any more.

We just open the door a bit at the beginning to get it going, close it and that's that.

PotteringAlong Mon 04-Dec-17 12:43:21

We never put ours out a bedtime. We justs leave the living room door open so the heat escapes to the rest of the house!

footphobic Tue 05-Dec-17 09:02:31

Just a heads up if the chimney hasn’t been swept recently, you should get this done, and fit a carbon monoxide detector, e.g. FireAngel if not already fitted. Enjoy your new home.

NewtsSuitcase Tue 05-Dec-17 09:03:41

Just go to bed?? It will burn out on its own.

NewtsSuitcase Tue 05-Dec-17 09:05:02

Honestly it is fine. I have a 2 cubic metre log furnace which gets up to raging temperatures. It gets lit and I go out for the day. You really don't need to sit and mind a log burner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now