Talk

Advanced search

Corner plots - any pros or cons?

(14 Posts)
howwillthispanout Sun 03-Dec-17 20:28:30

We're currently trying to do the groundwork on what type of property we'd like next. We are downsizing ad would like something with less maintenance but with space and garden.

In the past we have lived in terraced properties (19th century) but are considering something more modern (not really new build because of mortgage restrictions - but something built in the last, say 40 years).

These properties tend to be on established estates but many appear to be corner plots (in fact most of them do!)

So is there any reason they are more likely to be up for sale? Are there clear advantages or disadvantages to having a corner plot house?
Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sun 03-Dec-17 20:31:39

Some corner plot houses have a lot of front garden but not so much back garden.
BIG advantage only one set of neighbours!

ASDismynormality Sun 03-Dec-17 20:33:34

The disadvantage I have are the massive hedges around the front garden, so much maintenance!

Baxdream Sun 03-Dec-17 20:46:09

We get two bin days a week as we're on the cusp 😂

CustardDoughnutsRule Sun 03-Dec-17 20:51:41

More garden, more scope to extend.

Less privacy in the garden.

another20 Sun 03-Dec-17 20:57:28

Depends what the "corner" is - would it involve intrusive noisy polluting traffic or pedestrians up against your garden fence when you want quiet and privacy on your patio? Or is it a dead end with wide grass verges and garage etc - so quiet?

Baxdream Sun 03-Dec-17 20:58:46

We're currently building a large extension on our house which doesn't impact our neighbours

namechangedtoday15 Sun 03-Dec-17 21:34:45

We're in a cul-de-sac which meets a busier road. Neighbours (on the corner plot) were repeatedly refused planning permission for a double storey extension - apparently as it was too imposing close the main road (and potentially impacting visability). They have a lovely big single storey extension now but had to incorporate a downstairs bedroom into the layout as they couldn't get space upstairs.

Baxdream Sun 03-Dec-17 21:46:15

We've got a double no problem at all

CotswoldStrife Sun 03-Dec-17 21:56:59

We have a corner plot - similar to the large hedge/front garden that PP have mentioned. Check the back garden, as ours does narrow down a bit (not a straight wall).

The main difference that I noticed was the noise when there's a strong wind! It whistles around two sides of the house , not something I've noticed before even in detached houses because we are completely open at one end of the house!

If you are on the corner, there may be a street light so check it doesn't shine into your bedroom if you hate bright lights.

Being on the outer corner of our road, you do see our hedge and house if you are driving through the estate. Our property used to be rented and if the hedge wasn't neatly cut it did look grim so the neighbours tell me to everyone grin

Also, if people can walk past your back garden they can hear what you say and vice-versa. We have a brick wall so people can't see in the back.

Turquoisetamborine Sun 03-Dec-17 22:12:59

I love my corner plot house. We have a small front garden which we’ve fenced off then taken some of the side garden for a double drive and still have a massive side and back garden. We’ve probably got the biggest garden in our town and we did consider building a house next to us but i Love not having neighbours on both sides. You feel less claustrophobic. Our house is still nice and warm too.

howwillthispanout Tue 05-Dec-17 17:04:24

Thanks all - some good for thought there - especially the wind and the bins!!

JoJoSM2 Tue 05-Dec-17 17:55:45

Having the extra access can be very useful. A corner plot also means there’s no neighbour blocking light with some dodgy oversized planting.
The downside is some possible noise. The road along our garden is a quiet residential road but still, when noisy school children walk past or the odd car drives past, it is very noticeable. Definitely different from being a couple of houses down. We’ve actually installed acoustic insulation and planted a thick hedge + installed water features as it got on our nerves. Having said that, we might be a bit OTT about it and if you’ve lived in a Victorian terrace, you might not notice that level of noise as you’re probably used to kids playing in neighbours’ gardens etc

digitallyremastered Tue 05-Dec-17 18:03:26

Don't want to be alarmist but it crossed my mind that it might be at higher burglary risk as easier to jump over the side fence into the back from the street?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now