Advanced search

Agency or caretaker type set up to keep an eye on empty property?

(10 Posts)
AmeliaFlashtart Sun 03-Dec-17 16:05:53

I may have an opportunity to work away fir 6 months which will mean leaving my home empty. It's too long a period to ask a friend or neighbour to regularly check in. Are there agencies who will do this? It would be unoccupied.

Tobuyornot99 Sun 03-Dec-17 17:10:45

Why not ask a neighbour but pay them? I doubt an agency will "see" as much as a neighbour, and I'd be dubious about a rogue worker there knowing your house is empty.

BarchesterFlowers Sun 03-Dec-17 17:14:39

I paid my dog walker to do this as she had keys anyway.

Check your insurance policy, some don't like unoccupied properties, some require the water systems to be drained, others want heating on frost setting etc., etc..

SpecialAgentDaleCooper Sun 03-Dec-17 17:16:37

Do you have any friends or contacts who might be willing to move in and house -sit for a while?

Any neighbours with trustworthy teenagers who would check the house regularly, remove post from the door, open and shut curtains for a wage?

DD house-sits and cat-sits for a neighbour - she actually moves in for 2 weeks at a time, spends all her time there other than coming home for most meals

rslsys Sun 03-Dec-17 17:18:34

If insurance is sticky about the property being unoccupied for more than 30 days, try having a relative or friend (or if you are not too far away - do it yourself!) stay for a couple of nights per month. Make a few phone calls on the land line and order a takeaway delivery to the property.

Heratnumber7 Sun 03-Dec-17 17:24:59

Where are you? I'll house sit!

AmeliaFlashtart Sun 03-Dec-17 17:39:18

Thanks for the replies - I'm aware insurance requires the property to be checked within every 30 days. As I said in my initial post I think it's too long to ask a neighbour to do this and trustworthy friends close to me also have jobs that take them away a lot. I've considered all options and paying an agency is the best for my circumstances. I will return at some time for a break within the 6 months. Maybe a letting agency would consider it, without tenants!

specialsubject Sun 03-Dec-17 18:02:53

There is a concept of property guardians although the legals are shaky.

Her0utdoors Mon 04-Dec-17 06:15:49

The letting agent I use for our rental properties offers this service, price per visit at an interval you choose and will arrange any maintenance the property requires. From experience, finding a trustworthy agent is hard work. Mine are in West Yorkshire if you want their details?

AmeliaFlashtart Mon 04-Dec-17 06:20:15

Thanks, that sounds like what I'm after, unfortunately I'm on the South coast, will ring local letting agents.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: