Talk

Advanced search

Builders - do they clean up afterwards?

(5 Posts)
Leicesterpiggott Sun 03-Dec-17 10:57:35

We are having some work done at the moment. Kitchen and bathroom refit plus a few other small jobs. The builder originally said it was a 3-4 week job. We are now at the end of week 5 and nothing is completely done. The kitchen is still unusable so we are still washing up in the bath. The ruling in the bathroom isn’t finished so there’s dust and rubble everywhere. At the end of each day they just leave it with dust and rubble in our bedroom and landing, stairs etc. The front of the house and the garden are full of buckets of builders crap. There’s rubbish everywhere. As fast as I dust it comes back. It’s on everything. So a couple of questions. Should they be clearing down each night and how much should I expect them to clean up at the end of the job? I’m slowly going mad. Thanks.

tryso84 Sun 03-Dec-17 11:01:15

I think you need to sit down with the builder and talk through some expectations. Including a timescale on work.

They should try and keep it clean as possible is hard with work going on upstairs and downstairs though.

For example for a period of time we had the back of our house sealed off and they used the side but once they started upstairs too we had to move out.

We had a double storey and side extension done so a big job and the house was pretty much out of bounds all over. Only two rooms didn’t have any works done and they were used as storage.

MiaowTheCat Sun 03-Dec-17 12:09:49

Ours tend to chuck rubbish in a pile in the front garden then bag it all up at the end of the job (DH gradually takes it to the tip after that). They hoover every night but you're still always going to find dust everywhere. Rooms we weren't using during the work they tended to just leave overnight but if it was doing something in a room we were going to be using overnight (like they were doing laminate in the lounge and it was a 2 day job to do as our lounge is a bastard of a shape to do) - they'd make liveable for the evening as best as possible.

I gather our builder is rare in terms of how conscientiously he cleans up though - advantage is he lives next door and if he left a mess his missus would give him absolute hell on cos she'd see it!

YouThought Sun 03-Dec-17 12:44:30

We have had a lot of building work and all our builders have been tidy and cleaned up at the end of the day. Dusting around the house where they aren't working would be my job though.

SmellTheGlove Sun 03-Dec-17 18:23:12

Currently having loft conversion done and wall taken out - pretty messy business and dust spreading everywhere really but the builders clean up every evening - brush up the area they are working, Hoover. There is still endless dust but I appreciate their efforts. They usually wash up their coffee cups too! They are rewarded handsomely with an endless supply of biscuits. I would be annoyed if they didn't even try, knowing that you are living there. It's different if the house is empty. I'd have a word.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now