Talk

Advanced search

Getting estate agent to reply

(13 Posts)
Strawberryshortcake40 Sat 02-Dec-17 22:11:15

I posted last week about the house I'm buying and how the EA had suggested that the work needing doing is done between exchange and completion to enable a quick sale (which sellers apparently want). The advice on here was that wasn't a good idea, which my solicitor said too. That it might not get completed in time or that more work might be exposed that the sellers would have to pay for as well.

During the whole process so far I've had real problems with the EA taking ages to reply to me (I've been keeping to emails as I want a written record of things after a few untruths by them) and just generally being close to rude. No idea why as I'm pretty much the perfect buyer!

Anyhow Thursday I said I would be willing to reduce my offer and do the works myself. The reduction would cover the works and some in case of problems. Probably roughly equating to a months mortgage for the sellers (they are currently paying two hence wanting it sorted quickly I was told) so they would break even plus it would all be sorted so we could complete in a few weeks (everything else is ready to go, just this work is holding it up). I had one email wanting clarification on what I was saying and that he would get onto sellers Thursday afternoon. And then.....nothing.

I've had this before with them. If I chase I end up getting a patronising reply in response and frankly I'm sick of it. My buyer is desperate to move, it's coming up to Christmas and I need to know whether I should just accept it won't be happening till the new year.

I know it could be the sellers plan to reject the offer. But surely a reply is only polite. Any tips on how to actually have a better working relationship with them?

CotswoldStrife Sat 02-Dec-17 22:18:06

But it could be your vendors that are keeping the EA waiting - you don't know it's the agent. They are not likely to keep you hanging about for no good reason.

It is a stressful time for all concerned, hope it is all sorted for you soon.

Strawberryshortcake40 Sat 02-Dec-17 22:20:39

Could be.
But surely a "I've spoken to them and waiting for a reply would be good?". And surely if they are so desperate to move things along they would reply? From the start they wanted a pre Christmas move and I'm trying to facilitate that for them, and my buyer.

JoJoSM2 Sat 02-Dec-17 22:26:59

Maybe they are a bit exasperated? Do the work, don’t to the work, exchange, don’t exchange, now drop price etc Tbh, you sound like a difficult buyer. So it could be a problem with the agent being uncommunicative or it could be the sellers getting frustrated and not getting back.

Strawberryshortcake40 Sat 02-Dec-17 22:30:58

No I have not been difficult in the slightest. Apart from refusing to complete when the work would be halfway done, a week before Xmas, meaning most of the downstairs would be unusable!

If anything I have been doing my best to keep them happy, it's hardly my fault the survey exposed problems that need fixing (and they offered to pay for).

Strawberryshortcake40 Sat 02-Dec-17 22:32:16

Offering to drop the price and sort the works myself was in a bid to hurry the process along and simplify it for them. Legally it was going to be very difficult to do it any other way.

PragmaticWench Sat 02-Dec-17 23:49:13

Surely these are negotiations for your solicitor/Conveyancer, rather than the estate agent?

Strawberryshortcake40 Sat 02-Dec-17 23:56:20

No, solicitor said that I needed to reduce offer to estate agent and then it could proceed with me doing the work. Just to let them know and they would amend the figures.

greenlynx Sun 03-Dec-17 10:25:28

I do understand your pain but try not to worry , not replying since Thursday doesn't sound too bad, EA could be off work due to illness, family, etc or just being forgetful. It could be that the seller hasn't replyed yet because wanting to move as soon as possible is one thing but agreeing to reduce the price is another! You do sound like a nice buyer for me agreeing to reduce the price and having headache to do a work by herself. Give them untill Monday afternoon and ignore any comments from their side, you can always rant about them here! You can also request another viewing with seller present to discuss the work mentioned? Or did a letter through your solicitor to seller's solicitor if no answer for more than a week, say?

greenlynx Sun 03-Dec-17 10:40:35

Or do a letter, appologies for mistake, was thinking about a letter our solicitor sent to us when we were not replying for 2 weeks devasted by the building survey

Strawberryshortcake40 Sun 03-Dec-17 11:44:24

there have been more than one occasion previously where the EA hasn't replied over pretty important issues. So I don't think it's a one off. I'm beginning to think the sellers aren't that bothered about moving quickly tbh and wondering if that's why the last buyers dropped out.

It's frustrating because of the time of year, my dc are desperate to put the decorations up and we are in limbo.

Strawberryshortcake40 Sun 03-Dec-17 11:48:42

I think with the timescale involved I will just accept if it's going to happen it will be after Christmas. Unfortunate that they will have to pay another mortgage payment (they have moved away and rented elsewhere) but not my problem.

greenlynx Sun 03-Dec-17 13:44:18

maybe it's for the best as some work needs to be done and also this time of the year is very busy anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: