Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen dilemma

(4 Posts)
minimalist99 Sat 02-Dec-17 11:36:20

Hello mumsnetters,

We are due to move to our new house on the 13th this month. The kitchen of our new house is on the small side, as we have been living at my mums for over a year we are desperate to move and don't want to deal with the hassle of waiting for planning permission for an extension so I was wondering whether we could build an Orangery/conservatory/lean to extension that would help create the space in the kitchen we are looking for. The space is ideally for a dining table that will not fit in the present kitchen. Our budget is £15k which isn't a great budget & the house is in Marlow (Buckinghamshire). I am so confused as to whether I should wait for a while and save up for an extension or to just get the work done.

We have two young DC (2 and 1 years old) so we want to make the transaction as smooth as possible.

TIA

RunRabbitRunRabbit Sat 02-Dec-17 11:38:43

Wait and save.

Anything you do now will be shit.

Live with a dining table in a different room for a few months. Plan and save.

If you spend money now you will absolutely kick yourself in a year's time when you can't afford to do the real work because you wasted the money on something a bit shit. I have learned this the hard way grin

whiskyowl Sat 02-Dec-17 11:42:17

Definitely wait and save. £15k isn't enough to do a proper extension, but it's a really good start.

I've been managing with a kitchen the size of a cupboard for 10 years. It isn't ideal at all - and I have sworn at it innumerable times BUT it's manageable. I'm now doing an extension with a much bigger space, and I'm so glad I waited because the end result is going to be way better.

JoJoSM2 Sat 02-Dec-17 18:09:43

I’d definitely save. Conservatories can’t always be used all year round and you’d need to have a proper door between it and the rest of the house. Whereas a real extension will be a genuine additional space in the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now