Talk

Advanced search

Wine fridge

(16 Posts)
Crumbelina Fri 01-Dec-17 13:17:24

Does anyone have one they'd recommend? I'm looking for an undercounter one that holds around 30-40 bottles with two temperature zones for red and white.

Even if you have one that doesn't match the above it would be good to get your thoughts on it and what you think of the brand, i.e is it good quality? Do the shelves fit Prosecco/Champagne?

I'm sure I'll buy one and wine won't last long in it! Ah well. smile

macshoto Fri 01-Dec-17 15:43:56

Eurocave make some of the best wine fridges - but may be overkill for your purpose.

Do you want a fridge to store wine at cellar temperature for the long(ish) term or wine fridge(s) to store wine at serving temperature in the short-medium term. If the latter, bear in mind that red, white and sparkling all have different serving temperatures.

You can get dual zone fridges that will keep both reds and whites at serving temperature.

If your need is only short term storage before drinking likely the cheaper brands will be fine. If you might be maturing more valuable wine for years then a Eurocave or similar is probably a better investment.

Crumbelina Fri 01-Dec-17 16:21:23

Thanks for the info, Macshoto. I'd like a fridge with two temperature zones for red and white and for short term use. I'd love to be able to mature more valuable wines but all of our money is being thrown into the big fat house renovation hole. smile

Good to hear that cheaper models are fine - I'll have a look at Eurocave as well (if only for a future investment!) smile

Crumbelina Sat 02-Dec-17 20:35:51

Bump for the evening!

BubblesBuddy Sat 02-Dec-17 21:14:57

I have a Leibherr undercounter built in one. It is quiet and has the two zones you set at different temperatures for red and white.

They are about £1700 but they are fantastic. I recommend it very highly.

bouncydog Sun 03-Dec-17 07:10:21

We have an AEG full size one which is great. They also make a smaller one. Ours was around £1200.

Crumbelina Sun 03-Dec-17 15:21:42

Thanks both! They're a bit out of my price range but maybe those brands will sell slightly cheaper versions.

Sunnyshores Sun 03-Dec-17 15:28:01

You want to store 40 bottles short term - can I move in? smile

RoganJosh Sun 03-Dec-17 15:31:09

No idea about fridges I’m afraid, but I’m interested in the red one section. So is the red wine section because we keep our houses warmer than red wine room temperature, or is it for hot climates or keeping a stable temperature or something else?

Baxdream Sun 03-Dec-17 15:43:12

We've just got a 30cm caple one for £400. It doesn't do dual zone but you can have it for red or white

travailtotravel Sun 03-Dec-17 15:47:29

You can sometimes get them second hand. In recent I went for a transtherm for longer term storage - though these quaffing stuff others too. Ours is in the garage and for the kitchen we just went for an extra normal fridge which has proven to be the right flexible balance for us.

Crumbelina Sun 03-Dec-17 21:20:33

grin Sunny! It is Christmas an' all. wink

Rogan, I think red wine should be stored around 12-15c (ish) and typical central heating temperatures are around 20c (ish).I'm not an expert but we've definitely had red wines in the summer which were far too warm and needed to be cooled a bit. Likewise in winter when reds are a bit too cold.

Another reason I want a wine fridge is to shamelessly show off when friends come over. grin. We've been self-renovating our house for three years now so I'm determined to splash out a bit and do lots of hosting.

Norland Sun 03-Dec-17 21:40:21

We've got one of these
www.caple.co.uk/appliances/wine-cabinets/sense-wine-cabinets/sense-wi6130/
It's jolly good and seems to empty and refill as if by magic.

contortionist Sun 03-Dec-17 21:55:03

If there's room in your fridge for a few bottles of wine, I'd get a single-zone wine fridge at cellar temperature and always make sure there's enough white wine in the fridge for immediate drinking needs. That will be cheaper, and you'll be able to fit more bottles in without the extra gubbins for two zones.

PissedOffNeighbour Sun 03-Dec-17 23:20:18

We have a caple one too and I love it but it’s only got white in it, red just in the wine rack.

Crumbelina Mon 04-Dec-17 20:01:50

I'll definitely look into Caple then - thank you! Just seems a bit tricky to view any in London. Apart from John Lewis and Currys, no other shops spring to mind ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now