Talk

Advanced search

High VoC Gloss Paint Smell/Nasties - Can I paint over it?

(5 Posts)
Theonlyoneiknow Tue 28-Nov-17 21:43:49

Hi, So my mum came round today and painted our banister in the white gloss high voc stuff which smells awful and has the nasty fumes. There was a mis communication as I wanted her to use eco stuff but she didn't.

Does anyone know if there is any way to rectify this? is there some kind of sealant I can put on top to seal the smell/fumes in or can I paint the eco stuff on top if it to stop the nasty fumes ? Any recommendations for a white eco paint for busy wooden areas? Many Thanks in advance!

CheeseBadger Wed 29-Nov-17 09:24:55

Just hold your nose for a week. Maybe open a window. It'll stop smelling in a few days. The "damage" is done now, - there's not really anything you can do about it that won't also harm the environment.

Theonlyoneiknow Wed 29-Nov-17 10:32:25

Thanks @cheesebadger - it's more the kids I'm worried about and the long term release of the fumes. I'm not sure whether or not to switch to water based for the rest of the woodwork now or just finish with the gloss.

CheeseBadger Wed 29-Nov-17 11:25:52

VoCs are volatile organic compounds. The key is volatile. They'll all have evaporated off in a week and you'll forget it ever happened. There shouldn't be any long term release.

MiniMum97 Fri 01-Dec-17 22:01:00

Sadly paint continues to offgas for about 5 years.

You either need to remove it and repaint or just leave it and make sure you are ventilating well. There will be lots in your house that contributes to indoor pollution, so all you can hope to do is minimise it. Just chalk this up to experience and make future choices of low and non toxic products.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now