Talk

Advanced search

Moving day!

(7 Posts)
xandersmom2 Tue 28-Nov-17 12:15:18

Our moving day is finally coming around... it's our first time moving in the UK and we're unsure what the 'norm' is as regards looking after the removal team.

Obviously I'll be providing tea/coffee/soda/biscuits aplenty. But should I also provide some sandwiches or pizza or something at lunchtime? And do we 'tip' them at the end of the day (and if so, how much is appropriate)?

Thanks smile

fromtheshires Tue 28-Nov-17 12:52:01

Tea, coffee and biscuits are pretty much the norm, however I'm sure they wouldn't turn down a dominos if you got them one.

With regards to tipping, if they went above and beyond such as putting up beds or other stuff they strictly shouldn't do then feel free but I wouldn't ever tip them for just doing their job. Hth

specialsubject Tue 28-Nov-17 13:32:41

I would and did tip for a good job, it is bloody hard work and not well paid.

LIZS Tue 28-Nov-17 13:35:21

Normally you would aim be to loaded up and out about lunchtime and arrive at new property early afternoon. Removal men will suit themselves for lunch.

soundsystem Tue 28-Nov-17 14:49:39

They won't expect you to buy lunch, but if you're getting yourself something then I'd offer. We've used the same guys twice who were brilliant and I'd give them cash at the end "to get a few beers". I think last time we gave a tenner per person.

xandersmom2 Tue 28-Nov-17 15:26:49

Thanks for the responses, guys - very helpful.

Now just have to finish packing......!

OneDayIWillHaveAGreatUsername Sat 02-Dec-17 22:36:36

We've just moved and we tipped at the start of the day in the guise of giving them "money for lunch or snacks"! They were all very pleased smile
I'm sure they would have been helpful anyway but at the new house we had to move a massive desk and shelving unit that was left there from upstairs to downstairs - they said it wasn't covered in the removals deal but after watching us struggle for a minute they swung into action and moved them both in a flash! Maybe the earlier tip helped, maybe not but I am still pleased we tipped (ditto the earlier poster about it being poorly paid).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now