Talk

Advanced search

please please help with bathroom layout - with pic!

(12 Posts)
Millybingbong Mon 27-Nov-17 19:49:35

Large bathroom but awkward layout. I CANNOT decide what to do with it. diagram duly attached and everything to play for.

We want a bath and a separate shower ideally. We have a 2 basin (1000mm) unit. Also a loo which is the only thing currently in situ.

It will serve 3 children who are currently 5,4 and 2. We are not planning on moving until they leave home. Elsewhere I have a bathroom and DH uses the guest showerroom.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 27-Nov-17 20:20:18

It's a bit hard to follow - where is door and window, what's the thing in the corner? Where is waste pipe?

Millybingbong Mon 27-Nov-17 20:26:08

sorry!
the thing in the corner is the loo. The window is above it to the left - 117cm ish. The door is opposite the window - the diagonal line.

I should have also said that the only places the shower can go are on the two walls called 740 and 1200. Anywhere else and all pipes would have to be on the front.

whitemarble Mon 27-Nov-17 20:54:52

If this picture works sorry for the rubbish drawing...

Basically an offset quadrant shower behind the door on the 740 wall, a bath on the 1900 wall and sink unit beneath the window.

Millybingbong Mon 27-Nov-17 21:11:41

thank you white!

We have considered the shower there- do you think a 700 wide shower is enough? And would you go for some kind of frosted door to avoid the view from the door?

Millybingbong Mon 27-Nov-17 21:45:39

Would a bath that is 1000x1000 be wired?
I want the room to look good not just hold everything it needs to. And that is where I am struggling

Homesunderthehammer27 Tue 28-Nov-17 18:53:14

Another layout to consider? If you can fit the shower beside the door, I assume you could move the sinks there too? The toilet placement might need to be considered.

Shorter, narrower bath or 900mm quadrant showers are options too. If you were OK about only having one sink, you could look at a fitted vanity unit in the space from the bath to the wall.

A 700mm shower would be snug.

BubblesBuddy Tue 28-Nov-17 23:27:32

On the plan Homesundertheammer has produced has wasted space by the door. I think the shower and the bath together like that are virtually unworkable as far as cleaning the bath is concerned or mopping up any spilt water.

The door needs to be moved so it opens against the wall. This gains you circulation space.

I wa going to suggest the whole of the 1500 wall is used for a walk in shower. This should be at least 900 mm wide. I would get a sink about 1000 mm long (we have a shallow trough type one from Duravit with storage under) because this gives a lot of space. On a wall that is 3120 mm long and with the shower taking up 900 mm you still have 2220 mm available! That is easily enough for a very large sink and a loo and leave room for a heated towel rail as you come out of the loo. Put the bath where the basins are in the diagram above. You should have enough room if you move the door. That wall is 1920 mm and that is plenty of room for a bath and a door. You could even have a nice wide bath. This layout means you can clean everything and there is plenty of circulation and you get a luxuriously sized shower in its own enclave! Sorted!

BubblesBuddy Tue 28-Nov-17 23:28:48

Come out of the shower ....... not loo!

Millybingbong Wed 29-Nov-17 07:06:37

Ok so now we have the three ideas that i have been circulating around for the last few months.

Can we launch a mumsnet vote.

Pros and cons of each of them. I am very reluctant to move the door. I think the sink half over the window is strange too.

ferrier Wed 29-Nov-17 07:22:53

Sink under window is quite normal. Half the bathrooms in the country have a sink under the window. If 740 really is all you have on the door wall then that's not enough for a shower even though you can get the other dimension bigger because you've got the extra space on the adjacent wall. Plus 1500 isn't long enough for a full size bath. So I'd do option 3.

Homesunderthehammer27 Thu 30-Nov-17 17:37:13

You may want both, but what is more important to you, a bath or a shower? That should lead your design.

Have you seen baths within a glazed wetroom area eg: www.houzz.com/photo/22605511-isle-of-palms-beach-house-transitional-bathroom-charleston

Would something like that work for you/interest you?

One of my friends has an Edwardian house with the bath perpendicular to the window. You would have to move your toilet to achieve that, but I don't know if it's a possibility you have considered/could achieve with your plumbing?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: