Talk

Advanced search

Any young professionals/young mums live in Sawbridgeworth?

(5 Posts)
user1481480706 Thu 23-Nov-17 13:03:12

Hi,

My husband, puppy and I are currently living in Greenwich, but we're looking to move somewhere in Hertfordshire to start a family (and to escape the hectic London lifestyle!). Our favourite areas are Berkhamsted, Hitchin, Hertford and Harpenden, but these areas don't seem to have any new build houses in our price range (500-600k).

We found an adorable house in Sawbridgeworth, close to the station and the perfect size for our little family. The only thing that concerns me is Sawbirdgeworth itself - it looks absolutely stunning but I just turned 28 last month and my husband is 34, and I'm a bit worried that we won't be able to find friends as easily (finding friends has sadly been near impossible in London as I work at a tiny charity). Community spirit and amenities are also important - and there is only one independent grocer in the town!

Does anyone have experience with Sawbridgeworth? How does it compare to small villages like Hertford? I will probably take a couple years off if we do end up starting a family - are there quite a few young mums who stay at home, meet for coffee, etc.?

Any advice is much appreciated - i'm originally from the US so starting from scratch with English towns is quite difficult. Thanks so much for your help!

TurmericSpiced Thu 23-Nov-17 16:14:23

This is the house by the way:

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68804078.html

Really appreciate any advice you might have! smile

Msqueen33 Thu 23-Nov-17 16:16:49

Sawbridgeworth is lovely as is bishops stortford and full of a lot of ex londoners. There’s a lot going on. Do you drive? That’ll help. Another place worth looking is Saffron Walden. Lovely town.

DullAndOld Thu 23-Nov-17 16:25:10

It will be a big adjustment to go from living in London, to living in a place like that. Just as a small example when i moved out of south London to rural Essex, I was shocked in the pharmacy when they shouted out your name and address when ur prescription was ready. When I objected i was met with total incomprehension that this might be an issue.
On the other hand you would meet people thro nursery/playgroup/school, maybe work or voluntary work?
Cambridge is not far..

sarahbee46 Fri 01-Dec-17 12:25:52

Hi, I'm not young (!) but we are moving to Sawbo in January .
Did you decide to move there in the end?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now