Talk

Advanced search

Pure brilliant White for ceiling and coving that is both pure and white!

(12 Posts)
SundayLunchHappy Wed 22-Nov-17 11:04:15

Just sat down in a huff after scrabbling to find the receipt for a pot of Dulux Mat pure brilliant white. After three coats I still have yellowy grey looking coving and the previous colour is still showing sad.

I know a one coat type paint is often a false economy, but can someone please recommend a nice bright white paint that won't go on like pva and actually covers the walls?

This stuff is like painting the walls with custard and as soon as it's spread thinly it is see through! I have tried to roller a patch on the ceiling and nothing happens!

I'm no expert but also not a diy novice.

Paint advice much appreciated before I give a poor b&q employee a pregnant lady rant!

SilverSpot Wed 22-Nov-17 11:10:11

I don't have any issues with Dulux Once - although I tend to find it does need 2 coats

SundayLunchHappy Wed 22-Nov-17 11:25:30

Thanks silver,

I am happy to do a couple of coats and would expect to, just need to know I get a white finish and for it to go on normally.

whiskyowl Wed 22-Nov-17 11:35:20

If you're covering a darker colour (you say "grey", which could be quite dark) it will take a lot of coats and patience! But it will look better to to umpteen thin coats than one big splodgy thick one.

The trade paint has less gloop but more opacity than the DIY centre paint. It is designed to provide good coverage over several thin coats.

SundayLunchHappy Wed 22-Nov-17 11:45:39

It's not really a dark colour, it's new plaster that's already had a misting coat. Im just so surprised the consistency is so far away from normal emulsion.

This would take way more coats that I could consider a sensible use of time and money and doesn't want to roller on, no way am I painting a ceiling with a brush!

smoothieooo Wed 22-Nov-17 12:14:51

Is it worth using a 'stain block' paint? I had issues with painting a ceiling (many coats and still not white)... the stain block helped a great deal. Like this

SundayLunchHappy Wed 22-Nov-17 13:13:45

Blimey I hope not, but I know stain block does wonderful things, it's just a bugger if it gets anywhere other than the intended. Will buy some new paint this evening and then if that's not helping I think a blocker undercoat may have to be the answer!

amalur Wed 22-Nov-17 13:21:32

I don't want to sound patronising, is there a chance the paint has separated and needs to be mixed? I am only saying because I did this myself, although with satinwood. I painted a whole door wondering if I was actually doing anything, and then realised the paint needed to be mixed better blush. Apologies if you had already thought of this.

PigletJohn Wed 22-Nov-17 13:46:37

how long did you stir it for?

you can get a spinner that goes in an electric drill to save time.

SundayLunchHappy Wed 22-Nov-17 14:57:45

No separation and we put the end of an old hand held mixer onto a drill for mixing, I think it's just awful paint, a bad batch or not suited to the newly plastered ceiling. Who knows, I will take it back to b and q shortly and try something else.

SundayLunchHappy Thu 23-Nov-17 10:17:58

Happy to report I have done the first coat on the ceiling this morning with this:

www.diy.com/departments/valspar-trade-pure-brilliant-white-matt-wall-ceiling-paint-2-5l/971906_BQ.prd?tab=reviews

Doesn't splatter and it's white!

B&q were great when I took the dulux back and explained the problems and after reading more reviews than I care to remember, I opted for this trade paint and it's a lovely pouring cream consistency and goes and stays on in bright white.

Highly recommend!

petrolbluevelvet Tue 05-Dec-17 18:08:53

Yay, nice one! Thanks for updating x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now