Talk

Advanced search

Those glossy shiny kind of floor tiles

(21 Posts)
PurpleStar123 Tue 21-Nov-17 21:23:57

That an in vogue, are they hard to keep clean? I’m leaning towards them precisely because they aren’t a riven style which I hate cleaning because of all the texturing to clean. But DH rightly pointed out that the shiny kind might show all the dirt.

Any experience/views please?

mando12345 Tue 21-Nov-17 21:27:07

They don't show dirty but they show water marks, drives me up the wall.

MrTrebus Tue 21-Nov-17 21:28:21

My MIL used to clean for a lady and she called her "shiny floor lady" nothing made it look 100% nice and it always looked streaky and dirty. In the end my MIL quit the job and the lady actually did rip up the floor and replace it. So not good feedback there sorry!!

formerbabe Tue 21-Nov-17 21:31:38

I have shiny tiles. In the house already when we bought it.

They are a nightmare! If you clean the floor it only stays looking clean if you don't walk on it. As soon as you do it looks awful and streaky. I try to only walk on it with socks/slippers on because bare feet seem to make it even more streaky confused

PurpleStar123 Tue 21-Nov-17 21:32:02

I would rather have the feedback now before we have bought any!

caperberries Tue 21-Nov-17 21:34:04

We considered them but I was worried about them being too slippery

donajimena Tue 21-Nov-17 21:35:17

I'm a cleaner and the only way I can get them to stay shiny is a cloth and window spray

justdontevenfuckingstart Tue 21-Nov-17 21:35:34

They show every streak and bit of dust and hair especially in sunny spots. (I don't own them btw but I sell them)

PurpleStar123 Tue 21-Nov-17 21:47:16

Just don’t, what would you recommend instead? Sounds like these are really impractical and I’m very glad I asked! The riven ones I find hard to clean or I could just stick with them.

mando12345 Wed 22-Nov-17 08:04:14

My neighbours got white matt tiles, I'll ask her how she finds them.
I have to say I use an ecloth mop and don't get the streakiness at all.

Tiddlywinks63 Wed 22-Nov-17 08:11:23

Just beware of them being dangerously slippery. My neighbour walked on hers with wet feet and fell; she has now limited use of her arm.
I was warned off them by my kitchen designer too because they're difficult to keep looking good.

whiskyowl Wed 22-Nov-17 08:34:24

My friend has these and she cleans the floor twice a day. TWICE A DAY. Life is too short!!

blueskyinmarch Wed 22-Nov-17 09:31:45

I have these pretty much all through my downstairs. They are flat and matt so no ridges to collect dirt and not slippy. They are brilliant for not showing much dirt at all which is excellent with a muddy Labrador. I realise they may not fit with your scheme but you can get plainer ones something like this I think.

We brought loads of samples from tile shops to see them in our house before choosing as it would have been a very expensive mistake if we got it wrong.

picklemepopcorn Wed 22-Nov-17 09:39:07

I have wood effect porcelain. They look great.

FiveShelties Wed 22-Nov-17 09:44:25

They look fantastic and would be awesome in a room where you never enter. I fell for them in a showhome and had them put in the kitchen, dning room, family room - learn by my mistake - DO NOT DO IT!

One of my neighbours who had the same tiles, used to mop every night and then wipe them off on her hands and knees to remove water marks - I never did that!

formerbabe Wed 22-Nov-17 09:59:37

Yeah mine look nice when clean.

I start in the far corner and clean floor whilst slowly backing out of the room!

It looks nice but I could cry as soon as someone walks back in...straight away covered in smears.

It's no way to live!

formerbabe Wed 22-Nov-17 10:00:29

blueskyinmarch

Love your tiles by the way! Very jealous!

Mum2KSS Wed 22-Nov-17 14:07:56

We've got cream shiny porcelain - heard bad stuff on here but actually we love ours, had them for 1.5 yrs i mop about once a week if that and we have 3 kids but no shoe house. Doesn't streak and very easy to keep clean apart from showing up stands of my long hair which i tend to shed everywhere...!

flirtygirl Wed 22-Nov-17 17:12:32

I have black shiny granite in my kitchen and never again unless its in a sit only dont move type of room.
I had cream matt tiles before and they were brilliant but wanted a change. Never again will I get shiny floor tiles.

IndianaMoleWoman Thu 23-Nov-17 05:12:04

We have just sold our house and although I love the house, I will never get shiny floor tiles again. They looked amazing in the show home, and they do look great when they’re freshly cleaned...they’re just never clean! We have a baby, a toddler and a cat. I hand clean the tiles with dettol spray and kitchen roll, it’s the only way to avoid streaks. But even walking on them with clean, dry feet leaves marks. Unless you own hover shoes and have a diet that generates zero crumbs, don’t do it!

OldWitch00 Thu 23-Nov-17 05:47:26

shiny = slippery
and shiny shows everything. now as much as tiles need careful attention so does grout...it goes dark and collects dirt. avoid wide grout lines or unique colors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now