Talk

Advanced search

Wall hung toilet just fallen off wall!!!!!!

(15 Posts)
LJH79 Tue 21-Nov-17 19:59:37

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse our newly installed wall hung toilet has just come away from wall and hanging on like a thread. I sat on it with seat down undressing the two year old and boomf off it came. A combined weight of 12 stone is not a huge amount!! It's only been installed for a few days and have had so many problems with builders so this is th final straw. Can anyone advise why it would have come off the wall?? What have they done wrong?? So upset and stressed that even if they come back and fix it that it will happen again particularly if someone heavier came to the house!! Total nightmare. Any advise would be so much appreciated before builders come tomorrow to fix it.

lalalonglegs Tue 21-Nov-17 20:31:55

Wall-hung toilets are fitted onto a frame which should be secured to a wall so it sounds as, if the toilet pan is hanging, it sounds as if it hasn't been properly fixed to the frame (or possibly one of the fittings has failed). Has the area behind the toilet - that hides the frame and cistern - been decorated/tiled? Unless there is a very good access hatch, I imagine it is going to have to be removed.

NorthernLurker Tue 21-Nov-17 20:35:13

That sounds awful. I did read your title as well HUNG toilet though. That was confusing........
Give the builders hell.

LJH79 Tue 21-Nov-17 20:37:21

Yes it is tiles behind toilet. Can see two long screws. Not sure what has gone wrong. So worried that it will keep happening. Can't believe it! Such idiots these builders as well!!!

JoJoSM2 Tue 21-Nov-17 22:49:40

Wall hung toilets go onto serious frames. And they can handle a lot more than 12 stone. They must have bodged it badly for it to come off.

HidingBehindTheWallpaper Tue 21-Nov-17 22:51:51

12 stone is less than a not overweight man. It should be able to handle that with ease.

Neolara Tue 21-Nov-17 23:15:37

Agree with lala. Toilet should be attached to a very robust frame that should be securely attached to wall. Should be able to cope with much, much more weight than 12 stone.

JaniceBattersby Tue 21-Nov-17 23:27:23

You should be able to hang off it and not pull it off the wall. Theuve either missed the frame with their screws, used the wrong type of screws or not installed the frame at all. It’s not a particularly technical job and they must have known they’d got it wrong.

badbadhusky Tue 21-Nov-17 23:30:00

We had a wall hung toilet in our last house and the weight limit was 19st, so yours should easiy be able to cope with12st.

GreenTulips Tue 21-Nov-17 23:30:54

I think the frame is weighted in someway aswell so it counterbalances.

I refused to have one, but did look into it at the time

mermaidsandunicorns Tue 21-Nov-17 23:49:30

I work for a company that installs bathrooms we guarantee works for a year so hopefully they’ll come and fix it ASAP I don’t trust those wall toilets myself!

CanadianJohn Wed 22-Nov-17 04:36:18

I don't understand... did the nuts on the end of the mounting bolts come unfastened, or did the china crack around the bolts? Did the supply line break, and you have a flood? Is the toilet still connected to the soil pipe?

The basic mounting system is a heavy-duty frame in the wall, from which 2 (residential) or 4 (commercial) bolts protrude.

I don't know the standards for residential installations, but commercial installations have to support something like 700 lbs, about 50 stone!

LJH79 Wed 22-Nov-17 06:33:45

It looked like the second picture before installed. So looks like just two bolts holding it in. It is still partially attached around the pipe so no water has come out. Builder coming back this morning but don't want them just screwing back in as will happen again most likely. There must be a reason what they done.

CanadianJohn Wed 22-Nov-17 15:30:18

I'm interested to know what the builder had to say.

LJH79 Fri 24-Nov-17 05:28:16

He said had never seen it happen before! He showed me by pulling on bolts that the game was secure and was totally puzzled how it had come off. He put some extra nuts other side of frame and tested it before leaving. Not convinced it won't happen again but we shall see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now