Talk

Advanced search

Storage heaters

(13 Posts)
amber90 Fri 17-Nov-17 15:23:31

Some of you may remember about 2 months ago I posted in AIBU regarding my extortionate electricity bill with First Utility. This complaint is still ongoing and thats the 8 weeks gone now with no resolution so it'll be passed to the ombudsman. Anyway, following on from this I am looking to replace the storage heating (which doesnt work) in my house. I have no idea what will be required here and am trying to work out costs and who to contact. I had some amazing advice the last time I posted here so hopefully someone can help..

I have a small 1 bed flat with no gas mains in the area but the heating which was in the flat is at least 15 years old so I'm assuming nowadays they are more economical? Does anyone have any advice on who the best companies to contact are and how much it is likely to cost for the installation if anyone has had them fitted/replaced recently (2 heaters in the living room, one in the hall and a small one in the bedroom). Will I need a new boiler? and are they any better or just as bad as the old ones?

Thank you in advance

PigletJohn Fri 17-Nov-17 21:45:18

why don't the old ones work?

UpLighter Fri 17-Nov-17 22:53:31

You are best off looking for a recommended local electrician. If the heaters are 15 year old it would be good to have the cable to the heaters checked as new ones may draw too much power.
Get several quotes.
New panels will be more economical and efficient.

Lucisky Sat 18-Nov-17 08:33:22

I don't really understand as you don't have a boiler with storage heating.
Are none of them working? this is a bit strange. Are you sure it's not an electrical problem?

chocolatespiders Sat 18-Nov-17 10:18:26

If you have no gas mains I don't think you would have a boiler

BordersMumNow123 Sat 18-Nov-17 10:24:53

We have storage heaters and an electric boiler, the two aren't connected so you won't necessarily need to replace boiler (unless it needs replacing anyway). I am unsure about new storage heaters sorry , but make sure you are using the old ones properly. But storage heaters are expensive to run to we mainly use our stove. Goodluck!

DontTouchTheCharredCrotch Sat 18-Nov-17 10:30:01

In my last year in the UK I had one of these
m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Fireplace-Fire-Wood-Flame-Heater-Stove-Living-Room-Log-Burner-Fan-Heat/362105014494?epid=1068935943&hash=item544f2408de:m:mqQuji0Sk7LSqqdNqi_SLUA
The single door 1800w version. I had a 2 bedroom bungalow and it heated the whole place well, I'd have it on high for about an hour then turn it off. It was great, pretty cheap to run too.
I had it for about 11 months/a year because my boiler was condemned and I couldn't afford to have it replaced. It worked really well for me.
I'm not sure if you'd want to have it long term but it'll certainly get you through winter.
smile

PigletJohn Sat 18-Nov-17 10:35:43

Some people call a hot-water cylinder a boiler.

ChocolateChoux Sat 18-Nov-17 10:44:55

We had a similar problem with our old flat. We ended up going with water-based electric radiators from this company and really rated them. They were quite expensive but it was just like having 'normal' gas central heating.

chocolatespiders Sat 18-Nov-17 11:11:44

www.dimplex.co.uk/quantum

I live in a cul de sacred with no gas pipes. It's housing association property.
I hate my storage heaters and don't have them on. I am sure they affect my daughters asthma but H/A say it shouldn't.
I tend do to have a small oil filled radiator on.
The H/A fitted the quantum heaters above for my neighbour and she likes them.

chocolatespiders Sat 18-Nov-17 11:13:54

Chocolate. Did you install those water ones yourself? After the initial payment out were they expensive to run?

PigletJohn Sat 18-Nov-17 16:25:26

beware of adverts and salesmen saying "our expensive electric heater is more efficient and more economical."

because of the way they work, all electric heaters are 100% efficient. You put 1kWh of electricity in, and you get 1kWh of heat out, and it costs you 14.5p (less if cheap overnight rate).

A £10 heater from Argos has the same efficiency as a £500 heater from Magic Heating Ltd. German design and Italian aluminium do not change this. You can save money be turning it on less, or using a less powerful one, but the saving in electricity will 100% match the reduction in heat.

It's possible you will get an additional warm glow from your pride in having bought a more expensive product.

ChocolateChoux Sat 18-Nov-17 18:45:42

Chocolatespiders We hung them ourselves and then got an electrician to connect them to the mains (I think it cost about £180 for him to connect them all). As far as electric heating goes, I thought they were fairly efficient in monetary terms - we had them on 4 times a day in a 2 bed flat and spent approx. £70 a month on electricity (which also included using the cooker and electric shower everyday). The great thing about them was that the water inside them retained heat after they were turned off so you could put them on for an hour but because of the residual heat you essentially had heating for 2 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now