Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What is this box on wall?

(17 Posts)
xyzandabc Tue 14-Nov-17 21:04:27

We have this box on the wall in one of our bedrooms and though I'm sure I've seen one before, we can't figure out what it's for.
The black thing at the front is a key that turns and the two red things on top press down.
Anyone know what it does?

Whydididothatfuckingthing Tue 14-Nov-17 21:06:25

Never seen one in a house, but it looks simaler to a panic alarm we have at work! Maybe completely wrong though..

RunningOutOfCharge Tue 14-Nov-17 21:07:08

Yes we have them alarms at the tills!

TipBoov Tue 14-Nov-17 21:08:05

If you press the red button it will trigger your house alarm. The black key will switch it off. It's a panic alarm.

SnowBallsAreHere Tue 14-Nov-17 21:08:13

Panic alarm that works with the house alarm.

dudsville Tue 14-Nov-17 21:08:17

I'm guessing emergency related item too, but I was thinking kitchen fires.

AdorableMisfit Tue 14-Nov-17 21:08:20

Yeah, it's for the house alarm. We've got one in the house we're renting. If you press the red button the alarm goes off and you have to turn the key to deactivate it.

SwedishEdith Tue 14-Nov-17 21:08:56

Yes, panic button. We had one in (wrong) bedroom. Quickly disabled it.

xyzandabc Tue 14-Nov-17 21:10:21

Well I never. We've only just moved in and there is an alarm system that we've not played about with yet. It would appear that it's probably linked to that. That'll be why I recognised it but couldn't place it. I've seen them in workplaces but not bedrooms!
Thank you, I would never have guessed.

Weebo Tue 14-Nov-17 21:10:39

Yup panic alarm.

We had one of these useless things in the house we used to rent.

Don't touch it. grin

xyzandabc Tue 14-Nov-17 21:12:05

I told DH mumsnet knew everything. He was trying to Google fairly unsuccessfully!

LIZS Tue 14-Nov-17 21:14:10

Yes a panic alarm. Don't pull the key out or accidentally knock it out when havng a rare hoover behind th--e --bedside table as it is very loud!

Weebo Tue 14-Nov-17 21:18:09

We thought our strange landlords had it specially made.

They were the type who paid a fortune for beautiful French doors then covered them with ugly bars and padlocks.

It was like living in Fort Knox

realwoodlogs Tue 14-Nov-17 21:19:03

I used to have one in a bedroom of a house I rented too. Don’t think it was connected, but house did have an alar. (Dodgy area in Nottingham!)

CotswoldStrife Tue 14-Nov-17 21:22:32

We have one of these in our hallway, but no key! There are two buttons on the front, not the top of ours. Our house is a former rental property (perhaps it's a standard feature grin )

WidowTwonky Tue 14-Nov-17 22:25:38

We have this in our bedroom too. Gone off plenty when the kids have played around with it

CharlieandLolaCat Tue 14-Nov-17 22:32:38

My sister had one of those and we never knew what it did. Then one day my brother in law pressed it. We didn’t know the alarm code. There was no key. Looking back on it now nearly 15 yrs down the line I can laugh. We didn’t at the time .....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now