Talk

Advanced search

Buddleia growing under lead flashing what to do?

(6 Posts)
scothols Tue 14-Nov-17 12:22:46

I’ve just noticed a small buddleia plant growing out of the corner of our extension roof. The roof is prob about 10-15 years old and at least 2 owners ago. I can see that the roots are growing under the lead flashing.

I’ll get someone in ASAP to fix it but should I leave it as is until they come or cover it in weed killer or chop it out.

There’s no leak at the moment but I don’t want to create one by doing the wrong thing.

It’s really hard to find people to do smallish jobs like this so I could be waiting until after Christmas.

BasiliskStare Tue 14-Nov-17 12:56:21

If it were me ( but hopefully someone else will be along soon who may know better) I would cut it back & then if you can, tape a folded up black bin bag over it which ( by depriving it of light) ought to kill the roots - idea being if they remove it then anything left in there is dead and when they scoop it out there is nothing to grow back. It's a good job buddleia do'y have opposable things otherwise I reckon they would take over the earth

scothols Tue 14-Nov-17 13:56:09

Opposable thumbs? You’re right, I’d say it’s the size of a small shrub already and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t there a few months ago.

I’ll have a roof garden soon

BasiliskStare Thu 16-Nov-17 12:57:26

Yes - opposable thumbs - sorry my typing is very often rubbish. I would cut back - deprive of light as there are plants who seem to think concrete / bricks / cement is a congenial environemnt & you don't want the little tinker growing back when you have fixed the problem.

Cantspell2 Fri 17-Nov-17 19:48:20

Coat the leaves with some sbk stump killer(you can get it in any garden centre on diy shed like b&q). Then tie the ends up and stick them in a big bag to keep the them dry and stop the rain from washing the sbk away. The plant will absorb the pesticide and kill it down to the roots. It will take a couple of weeks to fully kill it but it will die.
Buddleia are as tough as old boots and will seed anywhere. They do die back this time of year so dont mistake the natural winter state for it the plant as it being dead.

abbsisspartacus Sat 18-Nov-17 10:01:19

Pull it out they are not firmly rooted at this stage

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now