Talk

Advanced search

Pine floor has different shades of colour. Help! *Pic included

(11 Posts)
Hurraahhnaptime Tue 14-Nov-17 06:45:27

We have just moved into a house. The pine floor in the living room has been sanded but appears to have no staining or varnish on it. But the colour is paler in some areas. This doesn't look like it's caused from sun exposure as it's not the shape of furniture. I want to fix it before oiling the floor but I don't know how as I'm not sure what's happened. Any ideas?

scaryteacher Tue 14-Nov-17 09:40:26

Has there been a rug or carpet there?

wowfudge Tue 14-Nov-17 09:46:50

It's where the light has bleached the wood - could be to do with the angle of the sun through the windows, positioning of furniture, etc. If you get it all sanded back it should even out the colour.

Hurraahhnaptime Tue 14-Nov-17 10:32:15

There has been no rug or furniture there in that shape. The corners of the room seem to all be lighter. The sun won't have got into the corners. I'm thinking maybe the sun has darkened the main floor where its shone on more. Can sun darken/orange wood?

namechange2222 Tue 14-Nov-17 10:45:05

Could they have put a natural coating of floor wax on some areas but forgotten others. I’ve done this when moving furniture around to wax. At the time I don’t notice as the wax is so natural. However it does eventually look different to non waxed

LIZS Tue 14-Nov-17 10:51:57

Could it be from where sunlight has been shadowed by curtains or blinds.

wowfudge Tue 14-Nov-17 11:43:44

Yes OP it can. Areas which aren't covered by furniture, rugs, or in the shade of large pieces of furniture darken with sunlight. If you sand it back you can either stain it to even out the colour if necessary or just wax it.

Hurraahhnaptime Tue 14-Nov-17 13:25:45

So as it's sanded wood with no coating do I need to sand it back again before oiling/waxing?

wowfudge Tue 14-Nov-17 17:20:56

I would say that will be the best way to even out the colour, yes. It is likely to have some sort of protective coating even if it doesn't appear to have - raw pine is a soft wood and I'd expect it to be dirty/marked in high traffic areas if there was nothing on it. Unless the previous owners went around barefoot.

Hurraahhnaptime Tue 14-Nov-17 18:07:14

Thanks very much for your advice *wowfudge

wowfudge Tue 14-Nov-17 19:12:43

You're welcome - post a photo when you've done it. We had an oak parquet floor restored and it looks amazing now compared to the mess it was when we discovered it under a faded, stained carpet. Wood looks beautiful with a little care and attention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now