Talk

Advanced search

Second hand kitchen?

(9 Posts)
PlayingGrownUp Mon 13-Nov-17 17:30:35

Our house was rented out for years so has a cheap plastic wood effect covered chipboard kitchen which has been damaged by a leak under the sink. We can’t afford a new kitchen but someone mentioned buying a second hand kitchen and having someone fit it. Has anyone done this? Is it possible?

butterfly56 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:49:59

Yes it's definitely possible!
We did this a few years ago in a bungalow I was renting from a friend. He wanted to replace the small kitchen and I asked him to consider me looking for a good secondhand one off Ebay!

To cut a long story short the kitchen came with
all integrated appliances fridge, freezer,
neff oven, electric small oven and integrated microwave in housing unit, gas hob.
sink(1.5 bowl). taps, worktops.
Separate set of display shelves and cupboards.

It was in real cherry wood in beautiful condition

There was also a separate set of kitchen units from a large utility room.

From the pictures on Ebay I could see how it would work in the very small kitchen.
There were that many units he was able to utilise them in 3 other properties.
total bid £326!!
He got a joiner/builder mate to do the job in the bungalow in 2days and it looked brilliant.
My friend was over the moon at the saving as he was thinking of spending about £2K on the kitchen alone.
Some real bargains to be had if you can take the time to find them.

butterfly56 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:53:39

It was very similar to this one....
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Complete-High-Quality-Oak-kitchen-with-work-tops-and-appliances/112631768806?hash=item1a396066e6:g:cFUAAOSwZaNaAKI6

Lelivre Mon 13-Nov-17 21:18:31

We did this not was a German kitchen (bulthaup) and good quality so it came out easily in solid units and we had an accomplished fitter who made it fit. It cost us £350 plus fitting. But once I bought appliances and worktop and tiling and flooring it added up to quite a bit.

CantChoose Mon 13-Nov-17 21:48:33

We did this. You need to buy a fair bit bigger than the kitchen you’re fitting into imo but it works fine. Ours is still going strong 5yrs later - was supposed to be temporary but it’s perfect so we’ve not bothered replacing.

RippleEffects Mon 13-Nov-17 21:55:28

I did this and got a fab oak painted kitchen with corian worktops for under £200. My house is a fraction of the size of the one it came out of so we fitted out one end of the dining room and created a large fitted utility shed/ room with the extra units. I added some oak worktops (also ebay) and bespoke shelving to finish it off. I have a high end kitchen of solid wood unit's and drawers for a fraction of the cost of the most basic new units you could buy.

didireallysaythat Mon 13-Nov-17 22:40:01

Definitely checkout eBay. And the suggestion to look at kitchens with more units that you need is a good one as that way you're more likely to be to play around to get the setup you want.

PlayingGrownUp Mon 13-Nov-17 23:10:04

We wouldn’t need appliances with the exception of a hob and oven. We also have a tiny L shaped kitchen that is awkwardly laid out that I would like to change.

Ridingthegravytrain Tue 14-Nov-17 17:06:51

I sold mine. The lady sent me photos of it in her house. Looked great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now