Talk

Advanced search

Wifi questions

(7 Posts)
Kai1977 Mon 13-Nov-17 14:24:42

We are trying to get the house more secure and have just bought a Ring doorbell 2 and an indoor Ycam CCTV camera (both wireless and use wifi). The first worked for a week, the second is patchy.

Could our wifi be affecting them?

Download speeds of 13mps and uploads of 1mps which should be enough but is it possible the wifi is dropping in and out?

We have Sky internet, should we look at their superfast option? Or should we speak to Sky about the unreliability first? Any help welcome as I'm not that techy!

MissConductUS Mon 13-Nov-17 14:34:02

You might just be getting a weak wifi signal where the devices are located. If you take your phone to the door does it get a good wifi connection?

HD video uses a lot of bandwidth, and you presumably have other things being streamed - netflix, normal web surfing. An upgrade wouldn't hurt if it's not break the bank expensive.

I have 60mps down and 25 up and there are times when I wish we had more.

Kai1977 Mon 13-Nov-17 14:53:39

Thank you, the router is a metre from the doorbell and one floor directly down from the ycam so I'd expect it to be better.

Would faster broadband get around this issue then do you think?

Could or should I look at wifi extenders instead?

MissConductUS Mon 13-Nov-17 14:59:34

If you can get a strong signal on your phone at both and extender won't help. You need to actually check it though. Wifi goes through most building materials fine, but metal or stone can block it.

If may be an issue with the software on the device. I'd start with tech support from the device makers.

Have you noticed the wifi dropping on your laptops or phones? What are the symptoms of the two cameras that are causing trouble?

PigletJohn Mon 13-Nov-17 15:04:55

yes

if you want to test, unplug it.

Move them further apart.

Kai1977 Mon 13-Nov-17 15:58:32

It doesn't often drop as far as I can tell, no. We can download on demand in HD really quickly too (the ycam is set to record in SD by the way).

Ycam says it has lost wifi signal. Ring doorbell still tells me when someone is near the bell but the footage is a black screen.

I think ycam genuinely has wifi issues whereas the doorbell is just a bit rubbish!

Kai1977 Mon 13-Nov-17 18:16:31

Sorry meant to say I checked at both locations. Same speed for doorbell so suggests product issue.

Slow speed with 10 mps download and 0.5 mps upload for the ycam suggesting wifi issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now