Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New kitchen on a small budget

(15 Posts)
NoisyBrain Sun 12-Nov-17 20:06:00

We have a 12' x 8' kitchen and a small budget; £4 - 4.5k. Haven't properly started researching yet, but wondering if any of you wise people know whether it is remotely possible to get a kitchen, including appliances (except fridge freezer) tiling, flooring, and fitting, for that price? Or am I dreaming smile

Nothing could look as awful as our old kitchen which is, quite literally, falling apart. So the new one just needs to look, well, new.

JoJoSM2 Sun 12-Nov-17 21:20:01

Labour costs a lot so it depends on what you’re able to do yourselves. Units needn’t cost much. Eg in the past I did a low budget kitchen: the appliances were freestanding so we only bought units to go in between them. For wall storage, we had open shelving - cheap pine shelves from B&Q that got painted. Units can be bought quite cheaply from Ikea (less than 1k for a few basic ones). They also do cheap worktops. Cheap tiles and appliances can be purchased online.

Moanyoldcow Sun 12-Nov-17 21:46:03

Have a look at DIY-kitchens.co.uk - very good quality abs come fully assembled and very competitively priced.

I think that labour will be the issue for you - can you do much yourself?

Chickencellar Sun 12-Nov-17 22:00:52

I would have a look on eBay for 2nd hand kitchens or companies online that sell ex display kitchens.

Funnyfarmer Sun 12-Nov-17 22:03:22

Ex display ones are usually sold off very cheap. I saw a beutiful one in b&q for £500 a few months back

Mosaic123 Sun 12-Nov-17 22:48:42

Perhaps you can remove the existing kitchen yourself to save a bit?

4yearsnosleep Mon 13-Nov-17 00:37:24

I did my old kitchen from Ikea, £1400 for units, oak worktops and sink, £300 on flooring, £50 tiles, £50 taps and £1700 to fit but that included leveling the floor, laying the laminate and replacing the skirting boards x

Ramona75 Mon 13-Nov-17 09:20:12

Labour is the expensive part. If you can rip out your old kitchen (take to the tip in your car, save on skip hire), do the flooring etc then you could save about £400.

NotMeNoNo Mon 13-Nov-17 09:47:44

I think it's possible for a simple kitchen. Look at the costs of everything to see where you can save.

If you can source all the parts yourself and pay a fitter it will probably be cheaper than a kitchen company doing everything.

Also DIY-kitchens are superb quality for the price.

SilverSpot Mon 13-Nov-17 09:54:09

I think do-able but you need to go for super simple. Freestanding appliances. Basic cupboards and only one set of drawers. Laminate worktops. Lino or laminate on floors.

If you can remove and tip your old kitchen that will save cash.

I wouldn't bother with tiling - just get a spalshback behind the hob and paint the walls in kitchen paint so its easy to wipe stuff off.

SilverSpot Mon 13-Nov-17 09:57:02

Also if you do get flat pack cupboards, you can assemble them yourselves so the fitter just doe the fitting and isn't wasting time assembling.

NoisyBrain Mon 13-Nov-17 11:26:01

Thank you all for your replies, they are really helpful smile OH is pretty handy at DIY and —shirks— works from home, so there is probably a lot he could do to cut down on labour costs. We’d both gladly take a hammer to the old kitchen. I feel hopeful now that this is doable!

NoisyBrain Mon 13-Nov-17 11:27:04

Oops, strike through fail! grin

whiskyowl Mon 13-Nov-17 11:31:25

I think it depends on whether you need to change the layout very substantially or do any major work like replastering or sorting out flooring or moving major services.

If you're just replacing like for like, and you are prepared to do most of the fitting yourselves, you could easily do it in budget with DIY kitchens or Ikea.

PigletJohn Mon 13-Nov-17 11:42:01

don't buy appliances, or sinks and taps, from the kitchen supplier. Prices are high and quality isn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now