Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pestering my solicitor?!

(25 Posts)
Watto1 Sat 11-Nov-17 21:24:53

We are in the process of selling our house and buying a new one. We had our offer accepted on 6th October. It's all gone quiet! I spoke to my solicitor last Monday and he said that our sale was going smoothly but the solicitor for our purchase is being v slow at sending the contract to him. He was going to chase him. Would I be unreasonable to phone him again on Monday for an update? I don't want to pester him but I'd like an idea of a completion date. Also, our survey on the new house hasn't been done yet. Who do I chase about this? My mortgage advisor? I haven't bought a new house for 14 years and I can't remember how it all works!

Thanks!

HollyandBrambles Sat 11-Nov-17 21:29:37

God yes, definitely chase, in my experience if your not chasing, they’re not doing! I chased every couple of hours towards the end of ours 🙄

HollyandBrambles Sat 11-Nov-17 21:30:08

**you’re

therealreason Sat 11-Nov-17 21:40:49

I'm a conveyancing solicitor - definitely not unreasonable to check how things are going a week after you last spoke!

And yes, do give your mortgage advisor a call regarding the survey smile

Angryosaurus Sat 11-Nov-17 21:48:30

My experience has been our solicitors didn't bother doing anything until after our survey was completed. Despite us paying a deposit angry

therealreason Sat 11-Nov-17 21:52:29

@Angryosaurus really? I have honestly never heard of any firm local to me operating that way. Very odd.

Angryosaurus Sat 11-Nov-17 22:02:37

I am finding the whole process painfully slow this time. My solicitors and vendors solicitors write to each other using what can only be second class stamps as letters take 4 days to arrive each way. Our buyers need to complete ASAP, yet it apparently took over 4 weeks for our initial searches to come back?!

Whatsthisabout Sat 11-Nov-17 22:57:19

We pestered a lot but it did mean we ended up paying more for the conveyancing than originally quoted. Don’t expect a completion date though at this stage. We had no idea of that until we exchanged.

therealreason Sun 12-Nov-17 08:37:05

@Angryosaurus 4 weeks is a normal wait for searches unfortunately - that wait is not within your solicitor's control (unless they were very slow in ordering them to begin with).

Thewinedidit Sun 12-Nov-17 08:40:13

Pester pester pester! Our sale has been dragging on since September and honestly it has only been badgering of everyone involved that has gotten it to this stage. Conveyancy solicitors seem to have been taught to work as slowly as possible. The time it takes to get anything done is shocking.

Angryosaurus Sun 12-Nov-17 09:16:53

Agree they are unbearably slow we have been in a chain since July. We asked them to look into an issue right at the start. After constant pestering they then ‘infirmed’ Us of the issue 3 months later. Having done nothing about it!!

KitKat1985 Sun 12-Nov-17 10:25:31

I think phoning weekly is fine. To be honest I found when I bought my house that I had to keep chasing to push the whole thing through in the end, as if I just left them to it nothing got done.

Thesecondtoast Sun 12-Nov-17 10:31:31

It can take a little while at the beginning to be fair. Dealing with anti money laundering requirements, sending out the client care letter with property forms, getting the completed property forms back, potentially waiting for deeds to come back from storage and sending out a contract package can easily take over a week.

Notreallyarsed Sun 12-Nov-17 10:32:41

I’m glad the consensus is to pester! In that case I’ll phone our solicitor tomorrow, because waiting and not knowing is stressing me out. I hate being in limbo.

MrsPussinBoots Sun 12-Nov-17 21:23:07

Hi Watto my offer was accepted on 5th Oct so am in a similar boat to you. Interested to hear what your solicitor says tomorrow as I’ll be chasing for an update too. Haven’t had anything except survey and offer yet - neither of which involved Solicitor.

Mrsmadevans Sun 12-Nov-17 22:54:09

We had another nightmare sale a few weeks back. I don't trust any of the solicitors , they play us off against each other . Good for you OP pester the hell out of them.

Tara336 Sun 12-Nov-17 22:59:04

My experience is if you want something doing chase them. I trusted them during my flat purchase, offer made August last year ...completed February this year because the solicitor couldn't get off their arse and chase a signature on one bit of paper. Apparently he had done enough already! I did it myself by tracing the last owner etc took me a couple hours a few phone calls and it was sorted. If I'd not done it I suspect I'd still be sat waiting now..

Watto1 Mon 13-Nov-17 13:52:42

Sorry everyone, I started this thread and then forgot all about it! Well, I rang the solicitor this morning and this are finally moving. Contracts are ready and searches should be back within a fortnight. Completion hopefully first or second week of December. Woohoo!

MrsPussinBoots Mon 13-Nov-17 15:38:07

Yay Watto that’s great news!

Watto1 Mon 13-Nov-17 16:32:32

Any joy with yours MrsPuss?

Watto1 Mon 13-Nov-17 16:34:37

Turns out my survey was done ages ago but nobody actually told us! We know it's fine from the mortgage people's point of view but I'd still like to see it.

Mildura Mon 13-Nov-17 16:47:20

When you say survey, could it just have been the mortgage valuation?

If so it is unlikely that you will be sent a copy, and in any event it should not really be considered a survey, it is purely just to confirm the property represents suitable lending security for the mortgage provider.

Watto1 Mon 13-Nov-17 16:55:17

Yes, I meant the mortgage valuation rather than a structural survey. However, I have always had a copy of it when I have bought houses before.

Mildura Mon 13-Nov-17 17:13:54

It is becoming more common for lenders not to send a copy to the buyer.

I wouldn't worry, it contains the most basic of information, in my experience the surveyor carrying out the valuation likely spent fewer than 20mins at the property.

MrsPussinBoots Mon 13-Nov-17 17:45:04

Watto I haven’t seen the mortgage valuation either but the same man did my private survey. My searches were ordered on 16th Oct, due back 24th Nov hmmthat’s despite the council confirming their 15 day turnaround time. But like you I should be in by mid-Dec. Need to exchange on 30th Nov so I can end tenancy so slightly stressed here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now