Talk

Advanced search

Contacting vendor re. conveyancing

(7 Posts)
crabapple34 Sat 11-Nov-17 19:08:05

I'm in the process of buying a house and the conveyancing is dragging on horrifically. Our solicitor is blaming it on their solicitor (of course) but I really don't know what to believe and I'm getting frustrated.

It turns out I have a mutual acquaintance with the vendor and I've found his business facebook page. Would it be weird and inappropriate to message him and see how it looks from his end? For all I know his solicitor could be telling him it's us dragging our heels. I just want to know what's going on, but also don't want to seem like a weirdo.

bilbodog Sat 11-Nov-17 19:39:40

If you are buying through an estate agent ask them to chase up and see what is causing delays - it is part of their job. How long has the delay been as some things can take a while - have you done a survey yet?

Angryosaurus Sat 11-Nov-17 19:52:33

I would much prefer our buyers to contact us via our estate agent, and am always happy to passing required info this way.

KitKat1985 Sat 11-Nov-17 20:34:04

I'd also say contact via estate agent.

specialsubject Sat 11-Nov-17 20:54:52

Could be the vendor doing it . as others say, get the agent to kick some arses.

crabapple34 Sat 11-Nov-17 21:34:13

Survey was done months ago (May!), everything is done and dusted on our side, have been waiting for a few enquiries to be answered since the start of September with back and forth between the solicitors and STILL nothing from their end. It's weird, we're first time buyers and the vendors have already moved so I was hoping it would be relatively straight forward.
Thanks for the advice anyway, I'll ring the estate agents on Monday and see if they can push things on.

AnnieOH1 Sat 11-Nov-17 21:40:26

Is the property leasehold? That can sometimes be frustrating when waiting for the ground landlord to respond to enquiries. Your solicitor asks your vendors solicitor who in turn asks a third solicitor for the ground landlord. Wheels grind and all that. A simple request sent by post could take a week from your solicitor to vendor;s solicitors, week two from vendor's solicitor to the ground landlord (who may take a further week to send it to his solicitor), week three back to vendor's solicitor and finally in week four back to your solicitor who may then write to your mortgage company to see if the response satisfies them, week five, week six to hear back and if they're not happy then rinse and repeat. It might not seem much but it's very easily done especially with a leasehold property and a mortgage.

I would ask your solicitor to be explicit who they are waiting for information from and then chase up the estate agent, ultimately that's what they're being paid for,

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: