Talk

Advanced search

New extension layout advice please

(8 Posts)
Whatsthisabout Sat 11-Nov-17 12:19:54

We are having an extension built which will give us a big room at the back of our house. As shown in my lovely drawing. We have a separate lounge so would ideally like this to be a kitchen diner family room. But would quite like to be able to have a door between the kitchen and sitting bit. And I wonder whether it would be possible to have a utility room. And I would prefer the living bit at the end where it goes into the garden.

What would you do with this space? My ideas are very boring!

Angryosaurus Sat 11-Nov-17 13:32:52

Is this a mid terrace so no windows on either side? If you want a door between your kitchen and sitting room, and aren't worried about it overlooking the garden, I would move it to the front room, which is essentially a corridor with the front entrance. You should easily be able to fit some sort of small table or breakfast bar seating in here. You'd then have a large living space at the back. You could add a small utility behind the loo/stairs if you wanted.

Whatsthisabout Sat 11-Nov-17 14:41:34

Thanks Angry for the suggestion. The front bit is terraced but there is a window on the left hand side in the back.

namechangedtoday15 Sat 11-Nov-17 16:01:27

You mean put a wall in the back part of the house to separate kitchen with diner/ living part?

Whatsthisabout Sat 11-Nov-17 21:45:31

I was thinking about a pocket door but ordering if that’s a silly idea

PETRONELLAS Sat 11-Nov-17 21:50:45

Lovely space. I’d go for a utility room top right and no wall in the new bit. I have seen a wall with a large non glazed window in it so you can still hear/see what’s going on but kitchen mess is less visible. I’d plan your kitchen first and go from there. Will you want an island/peninsula etc. A wall means light will be limited at the loo end I think?

another20 Sun 12-Nov-17 12:20:50

In the new extension bit behind the loo is going to be the darkest - so suggest putting in biggest roof light that you can. I would put a big utility room first - the bigger the better - as this means it is easy to keep rest of open plan tidy and streamlined.

If you wanted to section off a TV/Snug/Playroom you could do this next and incorporate the side window and/or roof-light. If you have a side return you could make that window a door so kids can traipse their garden toys in and out through that door.

Then the back is kitchen looking out onto garden and dining?

another20 Sun 12-Nov-17 12:22:33

Main aim is to have as much glass extending right across the back as possible and as many overhead roof lights as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now