Talk

Advanced search

Moving house wobble

(4 Posts)
Duskypink Sat 11-Nov-17 11:02:56

I’m hoping someone can reassure me.

We are due to move in to our new house in a few weeks.

House hunting wasn’t easy, trying to tick all our boxes within budget.

Anyway we’ve now bought our house but I didn’t fall in love with it, and although it’s too late I’m having a wobble over it.

We went with that house in the end because it met most of our criteria, there was no chain, and not a huge amount of work to be done. A lot of the major things had been done to a good standard, all new windows, conservatory, things that could be costly.

However there were two other houses we viewed that I totally fell in love with, however they were unsuitable. One just needed way too much work it needed absolutely everything doing and had a tiny garden, the other was perfectly liveable and had been done up but had been bodged up in a lot of places and would have needed a lot of work and money to get it to work for us. That house also had a tiny garden.

I think I’m the end it was the gardens that really did it for us, we wanted a good sized garden for the dc and it wasn’t something you could change, also meaning no hope of a conservatory or extending.

I just wish I had a bit more enthusiasm for my new house, I know it will be a great house once we’ve made it our own but I just feel sad that I didn’t fall in love with it. I can’t even put my finger on why because it’s far more suited to our needs than the others. It’s a good house and has loads of potential.

Has anyone felt like this and grown to love their new home?

Namethecat Sat 11-Nov-17 11:10:38

At the moment it's a house. In a few weeks/ months it will be your home - I think that makes a big difference. Have you ever rented ? If you have I'm guessing you called it home. It belonged to someone else but it was still home. You will be in by Christmas - if you celebrate it , make it a big thing this Christmas, hopefully that will help. When we moved into our house (2012) I wasn't immediately blown away, my oh was and to help sway me told me all the work needed would be done asap - it hasn't been ( LTB !! 😉 ) but I'm ok here. Good luck.

PieceOfTheMoon Sat 11-Nov-17 11:10:50

I felt exactly like this about the house we live in now. We chose it for practical reasons, but I just didn't have a great feeling about when we looked around. But as soon as we'd moved in and redecorated a bit, got our belongings in etc. I loved it and still love it now.

Whisky2014 Sat 11-Nov-17 11:13:31

I think this is a normal feeling. It's a big commitment and of course you will think "have I done the right thing?". In a few months time you will either think it was the right thing and if not, you can always change. Nothing is set in stonesmile I think you will be fine though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now