Talk

Advanced search

Integrated kitchen - hidden microwave

(29 Posts)
GingerKitCat Fri 10-Nov-17 18:06:50

Does anyone have a 'hidden' microwave in their kitchen?

I've been googling images where the panel tilts and slides into a recess above the microwave. It's quite a narrow kitchen so this would be preferable to the second picture where the panel simply raises.
There is plenty of room to play with above the microwave as it's a spare cupboard. Below it there's a single oven and a drawer below that.

Was in Howdens earlier and they don't offer anything like that as standard and the chap couldn't picture what I was describing (I stupidly left my phone at home).
I wondered if it was something they could accommodate if we ordered the right hinges and cabinet front? It's for a white gloss handleless kitchen.

Has anyone done this successfully? We have a kitchen fitter booked but I don't know how easy it is to do.

We were looking at integrated combi microwaves (use the combi microwave a lot unlike many) but they're obviously expensive and we have a decent one already. I love the idea of the slide-away front!

gothicsprout Fri 10-Nov-17 18:19:34

I would avoid anything that raises like your second picture - had one in a rented place and it was awful. The lifting mechanism would fail repeatedly (some kind of pressurised gas canisters?) and was difficult to fix ourselves. It was frustrating to use and often required an extra pair of hands to hold the cabinet door up when removing something hot from inside.

The first one looks interesting though.

FrogFairy Fri 10-Nov-17 18:34:30

What you want is a pivot sliding door. Below is just one link I found for fittings after a quick search.

www.marchesironmongery.co.uk/hafele/cabinet-components/runner-range/runners-for-pivot-sliding-doors.html

namechangedtoday15 Fri 10-Nov-17 18:51:08

Just had ours in a normal cupboard (a tall cupboard on a shelf at kind of chest height), but appreciate that might not work in a narrow kitchen.

GingerKitCat Fri 10-Nov-17 19:04:33

Thanks frogfairy! It looks quite straightforward to me (with the right hinges) but Howdens were making it sound difficult/ impossible. I'll have a chat with the fitter.

Thanks for the feedback gothic. I liked the idea initially but now I think it looks too clunky and like you say prone to failure.

Namechanged that's what Howdens are suggesting! It's at a nice accessible height anyway. I wanted to do away with flapping doors when it was in use but it's not the end of the world wink Equally I'd quite like it covered when not in use. I've seen the ones sitting an an open cubby but it would kind of ruin the look in this particular kitchen.

NightCzar Fri 10-Nov-17 19:20:00

We used to have the second style. I really liked it. The gas canisters did fail though, from my mum continually trying to slam it closed. It still stayed up but wouldn’t do the soft close any more. Fixing it was going to be really expensive.

I prefer the look of the second but think the first would be more practical. My friend has something like the first around her washing machine and it’s great.

The only other thing is that babysitters coming round and bringing own dinner could never find the microwave...

GingerKitCat Fri 10-Nov-17 20:10:45

I've found out it's called a pocket door smile

specialsubject Fri 10-Nov-17 20:32:22

Wouldn't that drive you bananas, a pointless extra door to open? And more to go wrong.

FrogFairy Sat 11-Nov-17 00:22:25

Something to bear in mind - if the door was hinged in the normal way, it would be pretty much the same width as the cabinet.

In order for the door to slide into the gap above the microwave, the door would need to be a bit more narrow to fit in between the side panels of the carcass. So it would be narrower than the other doors on that cabinet.

Pradaqueen Sat 11-Nov-17 07:22:43

I have one. To chuck into the mix, I used the smeg mirrored door that matches the coffee machine and ovens. Works beautifully and if the microwave goes kaput you can buy another more reasonably priced one than that is integrated. With you all the way OP.

UsernameTaken2 Sat 11-Nov-17 09:25:13

I have a hidden microwave but not with fancy cupboard doors. When We moved in the microwave had a big ugly black grille around it. Took the grille off put the microwave in the cupboard and fitted normal cupboard doors to the front.

ThisNameNow Sat 11-Nov-17 09:40:03

Wouldn't a garage door type door work better. They are common in the States. I like them because they look tidy when they are open as well as when they are closed. They have another name but I can't remember what it is. 🙃

ThisNameNow Sat 11-Nov-17 09:43:35

Just remembered the name... it's a tambour door

GladAllOver Sat 11-Nov-17 09:44:08

As with all built in appliances, you have to make sure that they have sufficient ventilation around them when they are in operation. Microwaves that have a cooling fan need an air flow.

Ambonsai Sat 11-Nov-17 13:42:58

Not sure what the advantages are. For the streamline look?
It's just an extra door to open.

sorenipples Sun 12-Nov-17 11:33:35

We have our microwave hidden in a cupboard with two 40cm doors with extra wide opening hinges. Not sure if it would work with 30 cm doors (allowing required ventilation space ) although it would be no different than a 60cm slide door. This fitted in well in our particular kitchen layout (which included a small run of 40cm doored tall units in an alcove ). The microwave is about 100cm away from the panelled side of our island providing drop off space. The narrow and wide opening doors mean they do not block the passage way.

Initially we chose the two door solution as it was easier to obtain than the slide over the top doors, but it also fits better aesthetically in our kitchen.

GingerKitCat Sun 12-Nov-17 15:30:51

Thanks for all your replies!

Yes it's literally for the aesthetic. It's a narrow kitchen with units on one side only and we'd like it to look sleek and uncluttered. The worktops will be clear apart from the kettle and toaster grin

frog I see what you mean, the door would look odd wouldn't it as it would have to be narrower than the 60cm unit. i hadn't considered that! I doubt there's space for the side by side pocket doors due to the width of the microwave. At least I know that idea's out.

The tambour door is intriguing thanks ThisName 😀

I don't suppose you have a pic or a link Pradaqueen?

Username and sorenipples (great name!) that is the kind of solution we're beginning to settle on. I wonder if Howdens do 30cm doors hmm Extra wide opening hinges would be amazing! Do your doors open back against the cabinets either side? Do they bang against them if you're not careful? We're going for a handleless gloss kitchen so there are no handles to get in the way.

The idea would be to have the doors open for ventilation while the combi microwave is in use (it gets a lots of use, more than the oven). Any type of door that folds back/ away would be fabulous.

GingerKitCat Sun 12-Nov-17 15:37:18

sorenipples I don't suppose you could attach a picture with the doors open/ closed could you? halo

user1469117700 Sun 12-Nov-17 16:12:04

Your 1st pic is an inframe so easy to do with a slide away door.
It can also be done with standard doors as you use panels either side so the door stays the same size. A bit above a howdens reach though.
The other option is look at blum HK lift ups. One you have pictured (pic 2) but you can get away with a HKS.
300 doors wouldnt really work unless you have a very small microwave. The doors are 285 and unit is 290 minus the 36mm of carcass so internal space would be 254mm.
Next size up on off the shlef doors would be 355mm, 360 carcass space, internal space of 324mm.
next is 450mm then 495mm on the doors. always best to go a few cm bigger than your microwave.
Also have some holes put in the back of the unit for venting the heat but you should also have the door open while in use at all times.
Hope this helps

GingerKitCat Sun 12-Nov-17 17:04:29

Hi user thanks very much for the info!

Microwave is 50cm wide but I'm now going back to basics and considering 300mm doors with 170 degree hinges as per Usernametaken and sorenipples suggestions.

Do you foresee any problem with this? The oven and microwave are on the end tower/carcass so technically nothing either side except worktop to the right (and a wall cupboard above it).

It's actually for an older relative's kitchen hence me shying away from anything too expensive/ complicated. They've asked for my help hence my meddling grin

They're not on a ridiculously tight budget or anything but it's a very narrow kitchen with no space for dining or hanging out. Showstopper features would be wasted and they want it installed asap. I'm trying to help them avoid ugly mistakes and get the maximum storage. Their current kitchen is a bit rubbish for this, lots of pokey cupboards not many drawers. New design has plenty of under worktop drawers, some of which are extra wide.

If it were my own kitchen I'd be considering all sorts of clever features wink

We're mostly sorted now as the dimensions limit options quite a bit. Obviously it's their kitchen first and foremost - together we've come up with an amazing plan.
The Mumsnet kitchen mistakes thread was invaluable!

After all this I bet they do a 180 and get an integrated combi microwave ££ !

bakingaddict Sun 12-Nov-17 17:12:48

If you have lots of space above where the microwave will be why not just go for a second oven. We are in the middle of a kitchen diner extension and have a Howdens kitchen with intergrated appliances. We've gone for 2 ovens, sitting above each other but one is also a dual oven/microwave combo.

oldbirdy Sun 12-Nov-17 17:19:02

Probably no help but won't your microwave have to be tiny and would it be a fire risk? Ours is built in to the units (see picture) which lifts it off the worksurface but no extra doors to open.

GingerKitCat Sun 12-Nov-17 17:47:29

They barely use the oven (I know, it's unusual!) so definitely no use for a second oven smile

Integrated combi microwaves (microwave, grill AND oven) are so expensive compared to freestanding combi microwaves. There's nothing wrong with their existing one so it kind of makes sense to keep it. Just thought the cupboard doors would look nice when not in use. Relative not such a fan of it being on show in the new kitchen layout. And as a pp says it's so easy ( and cheap) to replace if something goes wrong.

But agree the integrated ones do look wonderful and tie in with the oven!

user1469117700 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:56:55

all depends on your unit layput the microwave is going in to what is the best soloution.
Also what doors your are having on price.
eg - 2 x 300 doors will normally cost more than one door with a hks lift up @ £15
Its hard to tell whats best without seeing the tower/unit layout etc

dynevoran Tue 14-Nov-17 00:31:47

I have mine in a cupboard! Pics attached open and closed. Use it twice a week and leave if open after it's on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now