Talk

Advanced search

What to do with this fire? Pic included.

(18 Posts)
Acunningruse Fri 10-Nov-17 10:54:22

We are moving in a few weeks to a house with an ultra modern electric fire which is hung on the wall. It’s not to our taste at all, we currently have a traditional marble effect fireplace and mantelpiece etc.

Any ideas please on how I can make it look cosy/less like a TV/more Christmassy until we can change it in the New year?

Thanks

Acunningruse Fri 10-Nov-17 10:54:59

Just to be clear, that is the fire on the right hand side of the pic, not a TV.

MrsPatmore Fri 10-Nov-17 10:59:06

Have it disconnected?

HeyMacWey Fri 10-Nov-17 11:00:07

Crikey, that's quite a feature.

Could you put a screen in front of it?

Or perhaps drape a Xmas wreath thing over the top of it?

Or keep it constantly lit in the hope it'll bring some Xmas feel to the room?

Does it look less like a TV when it's lit?

HeyMacWey Fri 10-Nov-17 11:01:09

Just reread and saw it's electric.
I'd just disconnect it take it off the wall then.

SnowBallsAreHere Fri 10-Nov-17 11:01:32

Just remove it.
And put your tree there instead to cover the screw holes & socket.

Acunningruse Fri 10-Nov-17 11:02:21

grinnot just me who’s not a fan then. I’m not sure what it looks like when on, we are hopefully moving in end this month. I was thinking of a floating oak shelf above it with a garland on but don’t know if that will just jar with the ultra modern fire?

Acunningruse Fri 10-Nov-17 11:03:17

Actually you know I’ve said it’s electric but I’m not sure now! Will have to re read details and check.

Ilovelampandchair Fri 10-Nov-17 11:03:25

Remove. Is there a chimney hiding somewhere in the room? Pay a few K to get it opened up and a fireplace put in.

Acunningruse Fri 10-Nov-17 11:04:13

It’s gas apparently blush

NannyOggsKnickers Fri 10-Nov-17 11:04:18

I’d remove it and have a stove put in. But that’s just personal preference! Whatever you do, get rid of it!

Acunningruse Fri 10-Nov-17 11:08:02

How do you know or find out if there’s a chimney behind?

SilverSpot Fri 10-Nov-17 11:08:50

That's hideous!

Ilovelampandchair Fri 10-Nov-17 11:14:37

Have a look and see where external chimneys are located, that's a bit of a clue. Have a bang around the walls to see if something is plastered over where you might expect it. Also fireplaces are usually placed in the most sensible location in a room so think about where youd have put it.

Mostly ask the current owner with the bad taste as they likely covered it up to make their ultra modern room😅

Acunningruse Fri 10-Nov-17 11:18:15

Thank you Ilovelamp, I promise I’m not a complete moron in RL just stressed to bits by moving. Good tip to have a look at where the actual chimney is...blushblushblush

The owners are very lovely people they just have different taste to us. The world would be boring if we were all the same.

Though I do need a temporary festive fix until we decide what we want to do with it, does anyone think a fake shelf/mantel would work? With a Christmas garland on? No?

Ilovelampandchair Fri 10-Nov-17 11:20:41

Put a garland on it if you want to make it a focal point. Otherwise focus on the treesmile

Good luck and congrats on the new home.

Lucisky Fri 10-Nov-17 12:08:13

It's a lovely room, apart from the fire! I've never seen anything like that before, I thought it was a tv.
I would second a pp in either having the firplace opened up eventually, but I would use it over Christmas (if it's gas it will need professional removal). You never know, it might be really cold.

redfairy Sat 11-Nov-17 18:46:40

If you're handy with a saw and and mdf you could knock up a cover for a temporary fix. That might look worse than the fire though. It's not bad just looks fooking huge!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now