Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which house?

(15 Posts)
SquashedInTight Fri 10-Nov-17 09:39:33

Can't decide... we have young children and I have health issues that make the countryside better, but...

1) Old house (with a fireplace in each room!), on the edge of a village and surrounded by countryside. Good sized front and back gardens, room to extend. Cosy sized rooms, would need to extend/upsize in 3 years or so. House needs a lot of work before we move in, but price reflects this and we can stay with family.

2) Newish house, small bedrooms but enough of them, medium sized garden, in a town with a not great reputation. Not near a main road so should be ok. No work needed.

3) Also newish house in same town. 4 bed townhouse with minute garden. Would have spare bedroom for visitors but lots of stairs and no outside space to play in. Cheapest.

3) Detached bungalow further away from family, an extra bedroom for visitors, good sized garden, quiet road in large village. Needs some work but liveable now. Probate property so might take a while to get in. Most expensive but future proof.

Part of me is just scared of spending each winter freezing (my childhood!!) and wants a new, warm house. The other part wants the good locations. The last house is the sensible half way option but is at the very top of the budget and we were originally moving to try and get out of the 'working all hours to pay the mortgage' mentality. Also worried the last house will take months and months.

GingerIvy Fri 10-Nov-17 09:47:05

I'd choose 1, but I'm a sucker for older houses with fireplaces. grin

2 would depend on if the town's reputation is well deserved, I suppose, but you've said it's too small.

3 has no outside space and you kind of indicate that's important to you.

4 sounds like a financially tight one, which would be a problem if your finances change at all.

SadClown Fri 10-Nov-17 09:52:38

How old is old? Would you be allowed to extend iyswim. If you can extend would be extending downstairs to make a downstairs bedroom/bathroom be better for you?
I wouldn't go for the newbuilds as it sounds like you don't like the town and the bungalow is top budget/further away so..if the cottage can be extended and insulated (I grew up in a cold cold house so know where you're coming from) I'd go for 1.

JT05 Fri 10-Nov-17 10:47:27

I’d go for 1 or 4.
Definitely don’t go for anything in a location your not happy with.
1 sounds a bit of a project, but you can insulate it well when you renovate. It also sounds like a lovely place to bring up DCs.
Number 4 depends on how you factor in travelling to family and purchase costs. A bungalow can usually be extended into the roof, thus leaving the garden space intact.

SquashedInTight Fri 10-Nov-17 10:51:35

House 1 isn't listed, and the kitchen is already a tiny extension. One of the houses down the road has done a wraparound garage/back of house extension. DH says it feels 'solid' lol. Walls well built, big contrast to flimsy new builds!

The town's strategy reports etc reflect the area well - it is basically a huge sprawling estate with pockets of niceness. It has been expanded recently (nice houses lol) with no thought for services - GP so full it takes you 14 days to get an appointment, no NHS dentist spaces, long way from nearest hospital, police and ambulances from next nearest town so don't turn up until it's too late really. Only good point is that the houses are nice! The other locations are closer to essential services.

The last house would be enormous if we finished converting the attic, and is in a great location for work.
£££ though.

GoingCrazy21 Fri 10-Nov-17 10:51:58

Go for 1 - location location location!

SilverSpot Fri 10-Nov-17 11:06:09

OliviaBenson Fri 10-Nov-17 11:10:35

Just reading your list I think your heart says 1.

LizzieMacQueen Fri 10-Nov-17 11:23:34

If by edge of village you mean walkable to amenities then property no. 1 sounds good but if it means a car journey to get milk etc.........that's my test.

cakeandteajustforme Fri 10-Nov-17 13:36:57

I say 4 or hold out for something a little smaller than 4 but closer to it than the others you’ve described? Otherwise 1

CustardDoughnutsRule Fri 10-Nov-17 16:29:40

Where will the money come from for the extension/upsizing of 1? If there's work to do before you move in, that 3 years until you need more space will tick away quickly.

I think you hate option 3. I think 2 or 4 makes most sense. 1 might be a false economy over 4.

SquashedInTight Fri 10-Nov-17 23:04:31

You have all made me realise how much I don't want to live in that town!! We asked what they would accept for house 1 as DH is worried by how much work needs doing. I think we are out of the running there, so option 4 or something very close.

ChristinaParsons Fri 10-Nov-17 23:14:22

1 or 4

Bowerbird5 Sat 11-Nov-17 03:05:37

1 or 4
Personally I would probably chose 1 as I like old houses with character.
Our children would say they grew up in a cold house. We had Victorian windows. Renovated the whole house over a year but couldn't afford new windows( I kind of liked the idea that they were Victorian too) until the monster munchers left home. Two years ago we had bespoke sash wooden double glazing put in by a young, award winning joiner and we bought a new multi fuel stove the year before. My goodness what a difference we actually get too hot sometimes. Stoves have developed a lot since our stove 30 years ago and are easier to light and more efficient. We heat seven radiators and a fairly large water tank. I would look into what the costs would be to make it warm and cosy.
The fourth sounds quite good too but don't overstretched yourselves. Don't worry about probate they were chasing us to buy this wanted a six week turn around! It doesn't always take a long time.

OldWitch00 Sat 11-Nov-17 03:08:46

If you have health conditions a bigger Center (not country) is better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now