Talk

Advanced search

Changing mortgage?

(9 Posts)
sometimeslifeishard Thu 09-Nov-17 22:50:53

My ex partner has just informed me that he has begun the process of changing the mortgage from both our names to his - and that the bank say this is fine, they don't need my permission. Is this true? I'm not happy about this at all because we haven't agreed that this is the path we want to take. The house is jointly owned.

DueNov Thu 09-Nov-17 22:54:52

No he can't do that he's talking rubbish the bank will send you stuff to sign to hand it over to him. Do not sign.

delilahbucket Thu 09-Nov-17 22:56:42

It's not just the bank who would need to be involved in this process, a solicitor would too, and they would need to see you both.

GreenTulips Thu 09-Nov-17 22:58:06

He is basically selling the house to himself cutting you out

Is it just the mortgage or the house deeds he's doing?

sometimeslifeishard Thu 09-Nov-17 22:58:36

I'm aware we need a solicitor to change the deeds (if we do it this way) but he seems to think they've said the mortgage can be changed before this happens.

sometimeslifeishard Thu 09-Nov-17 22:59:52

Just the mortgage at the minute @GreenTulips but can he do that? The problem is the mortgage comes out of his account but we both pay as I put money to cover the bills in another account.

DueNov Thu 09-Nov-17 23:00:33

The bank and solicitor will work along side each other

I did this with my ex. I paid him out his half an there was first lots to sign with the bank of him agreeing to hand over to me go a sum of money and then the solicitor dealing with the transfer of equity etc and deeds.

He can't do anything without you signing so do not worry

I literally dealt with this June 2017

DueNov Thu 09-Nov-17 23:01:08

Doesn't matter who's account the money comes from. Bank needs your permission to remove your name from the mortgage. He's trying to scare you

DueNov Thu 09-Nov-17 23:02:40

Plus he'll need to be assessed whether he can even afford the mortgage alone.

I could afford it alone as id been paying it alone!! But in the banks eyes based on my income I couldn't. So it's not straight forward and quick process.

Mine took 3 and a half months

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: