Talk

Advanced search

Loft conversion or bathroom next to bedroom but not accessible through bedroom?

(14 Posts)
dietstartstomorrowok Thu 09-Nov-17 22:45:56

Not sure what to go for? I am leaning towards a seperate bathroom as then anyone can use it without having to go through bedroom and my bedroom won't be full of steam and smells?

Thoughts please?

dietstartstomorrowok Thu 09-Nov-17 22:47:23

Sorry title should read:

Loft conversion with ensuite or seperate bathroom next to bedroom?

DottyDotAgain Thu 09-Nov-17 22:54:07

We had this choice and went for ensuite, on the basis that no-one was going to go to two flights of stairs for the loo so he only regular user of the ensuite would be the person who has the bedroom (ds15!). Also, when ds’s have left home and I Airbnb it to help pay off the mortgage, I might get more if it’s an ensuite grin

Ds moved into the loft bedroom with ensuite about 8 week’s ago and no-one else has used the bathroom up there to date..!

But... we’ve got a bathroom on the first floor and a downstairs loo, so we’re lucky there’s usually a choice. If we didn’t have the ground floor loo we might have gone for a separate bathroom (although an ensuite just sounds so lovely I probably wouldn’t have!).

Archipops Fri 10-Nov-17 01:51:44

assuming that the loft conversion only has one bedroom, then ensuite. downstairs ie ground and first would have a seperate bathroom/toilet right?

Flippingecktucker Fri 10-Nov-17 01:56:25

Ensuite. Absolutely.

Grounddown17 Fri 10-Nov-17 02:00:02

We have a separate bathroom. It means that others could theoretically use it without disturbing us too much. Plus it gives us more wall space for furniture as we only have one door into the bedroom.

SilverSpot Fri 10-Nov-17 09:24:24

10000000% prefer a separate door accessed from the landing not an en-suite

It will basically be an en-suite anyway in terms of how easy it is to access but you have so much more flexibility plus less noise and small transfer into your bedroom!

SilverSpot Fri 10-Nov-17 09:26:23

Also saves wall space in the bedroom so you have an easier time wiht layout for wardrobes and stuff

Baxdream Fri 10-Nov-17 09:28:54

My friend had it as a bathroom as it’s good for shift work

dietstartstomorrowok Fri 10-Nov-17 10:06:02

Thanks. I want it seperate, but DH wants an ensuite. He can't give me a reason as to why it should be an ensuite. Think it's just because most have ensuite! The fan going off drives me mad too.

MarshaBrady0 Fri 10-Nov-17 10:07:49

Separate with door on landing

NotCitrus Fri 10-Nov-17 10:25:14

Separate. Especially if there's another room up there. We have a toilet on each floor and they still are sometimes all in use, which would be inconvenient if there were someone in the loft bedroom (and MrNC works from home a lot there).

SilverSpot Fri 10-Nov-17 11:09:41

Like PP says so much better if you don't get up at the same time - you can go in and turn on the light and not disturb the other person.

Svalberg Fri 10-Nov-17 13:46:52

We have it separate as we'd come from a house with an en-suite & knew the disadvantages of that. If anyone uses it in the night, switching the light on or flushing doesn't disturb the other. Whoever buys the house next can very easily convert the bedroom into 2 double rooms & both will have access to the shower room. And it was a godsend when we had the main bathroom refurbished so everyone else could easily use it. It can also be used when we have a houseful so they're not all queueing for the other bathroom, without going in our bedroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now