Talk

Advanced search

What colour?

(15 Posts)
Bicyclethief Thu 09-Nov-17 19:13:52

I need help, I can't put this off anymore. I need to choose a colour to paint my house. I've tried what feels like millions of samples and nothing matches the colour I have pictured in my brain. My DH and decorator are running out of patience.

I want one colour throughout. Kitchen dinner is east southish facing and the living room at from of house is west. I want a light colour, I've tried off whites (Dulux white cotton/mist and all other variations) but they either appear too cold or yellow(I don't want yellow especially if it looks like magnolia as the sun disappears).

Any ideas of a warm white which has no yellow tinge? Ideally, I would like the the colour to enhance the greens reflected from the garden in my kitchen.

BananaPie Thu 09-Nov-17 19:24:25

Paint colours can look very different in different lights - you might find that you like a colour in one room, but that it looks completely different in another. We have dulux timeless in a few rooms. It really seems to change depending on levels of light

Bicyclethief Thu 09-Nov-17 19:27:31

Yes, I was considering timeless, is it very yellow? I can't figure it out.

BananaPie Thu 09-Nov-17 19:31:52

It's not at all yellow in my hallway, but does look yellow in other places! My advice would be to paint large test patches on a few different walls!

Bicyclethief Thu 09-Nov-17 21:32:31

Yes that's what I though. Thanks banana

lalalonglegs Thu 09-Nov-17 21:35:35

F&B Shaded White is an off-white which has a bit of green in it.

Mosaic123 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:39:11

Have you looked at Caluna by Farrow and Ball? It's a light lilac/pale grey colour. No yellow at all. It's a restful but chic colour.

SwedishEdith Thu 09-Nov-17 21:41:21

Crown Sail White?

Lozmatoz Thu 09-Nov-17 21:59:14

One colour throughout! Why? I don’t understand why you’d choose to do that. Pick a colour/wallpaper/tachometer/theme for each room.

SwedishEdith Thu 09-Nov-17 22:11:53

Ooo, no. I can see why you'd want your rooms to flow. But the OP may need to adapt slightly from room to room for the changing light.

DavenotChas Thu 09-Nov-17 22:20:26

I'd second dulux timeless. We've got it in the kitchen that's north west facing and in a bedroom that's South East facing and in both rooms it's a sort of warm greyish white if that makes sense? We've got the diamond matte finish so it's very hardwearing and washable.

user71017 Fri 10-Nov-17 05:27:18

We're doing a total top to bottom refurb. Every room, hallway, staircase etc is polished pebble. Yes it's a pale grey but it's gorgeous and goes with every colour for accessorising.

Bicyclethief Fri 10-Nov-17 08:44:38

Lazy option doing one colour throughout. I thought the refurb would be fun but with child in tow, chasing builders (they seem to vanish quite a bit) us living out if a suit case and both full time working I just want the easy option grin.

Bicyclethief Fri 10-Nov-17 08:48:21

User71 i keep looking at pebble but got this idea that it's too dark. I think I will get a sample. I'm seriously starting to think I have some sort of vision colour issue.

Bicyclethief Fri 10-Nov-17 08:50:46

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try some out!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: