Talk

Advanced search

Help mortgage broker and damp

(5 Posts)
Knittedbreasts Thu 09-Nov-17 18:08:48

Ok so my buyer who has had his mortgage approved completly has been asked by his mortgage broker to speak to him about damp proofing in our house.

Now, his solicitors have no idea about any damp issues as there is a 20 year damp proofing guarantee and our solicitor has not been informed of anything either. No enquiries have been raised about the issue.

Our buyer is a ftb and has misunderstood things in the past so possibly he hasn't understood why he has been asked to see the mortgage advisor. Obviously he has also had a survey done.

I can't lose our new forever home again ( last time our buyers buyer pulled out), I feel sick. Our buyer said he doesn't really know what's it about other than damp.

If you have any inkling or understanding of this please let me know. I just want to sleep until all this is done. His solicitor had been talking today about exchanging next week what could it be about?! sad

wowfudge Thu 09-Nov-17 18:59:45

Sounds as though the underwriters have queried something in the survey - is the mortgage adviser independent or working for the mortgage company? There is no point worrying about what could be a non-issue. Think about it logically - have you noticed any damp during the time you've been living there? See what comes of this, but don't lose sleep over it. Has the buyer told you this directly or via the EA or solicitor? I'd be a tiny bit concerned he is going to try it on shortly before exchange so just be prepared for that.

Knittedbreasts Fri 10-Nov-17 09:07:05

They are independent of the mortgage company. We haven't seen any damp. The buyer told me this directly the solicitors don't anything about it. How can he try it on if we have a damp proof guarantee? I'm going to feel sick all day I can tell. Please god let it be ok

AgathaF Fri 10-Nov-17 16:59:36

There is increasing awareness that damp proofing in old houses is at best useless, and at worse, damaging, therefore a damp proof guarantee isn't necessarily of any use. So they could be querying it from that angle. More likely though, is that they are trying to get the buyer to have an additional damp and/or damp and timbers survey done.

Can you get your solicitor to chase this up? It sounds like something that needs following up and resolving quickly so protect your sale.

Knittedbreasts Sat 11-Nov-17 10:07:25

Great news! The buyer was confused and all is well. No more issues and last set of enquiries hopefully. Our buyer actually called us and I was so happy it's all going fine! Thank you for your comments though

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: