Advanced search

How do you value a house without an estate agent?

(15 Posts)
peachypops Wed 08-Nov-17 22:02:08

Would really appreciate some advice. My friend would like to sell her house and I am seriously interested in buying it. We would like an independent valuation so that we both get a totally fair deal. Estate agents have their own agenda when they value a house so we don't want to involve them. It's an unusual house in a very rural location so can't get any comparable sales prices. It's also a big project, lots needs sorting out there but I'm not sure how much. Are there professionals for hire who would be able to give an accurate valuation?

Growingboys Wed 08-Nov-17 22:03:56

You get a few estate agents to value it for you. They know what it is likely to sell for - not sure what you mean by having their own agenda. A property is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

fucksakefay Wed 08-Nov-17 22:04:28

Worth paying out for a surveyor. Esp if you're going to get a survey anyway.
Alternatively get three or four estate agents valuations (ask for achievable sale price not a marketing price) and take an average.

SilverSpot Wed 08-Nov-17 22:05:06

I’d pay for two RiCS surveyors to value the house.

peachypops Wed 08-Nov-17 22:28:22

Thanks everyone for your replies. growingboys I think estate agents might value a house 1) and give you a price you want to hear so you go with them or 2) give a lowish price if they need a quick sale. I just don't trust them to be totally impartial. So I think a surveyor is probably the way to go, I hadn't realised they actually value houses, thought they just spotted all the problems with a property!

Needmoresleep Wed 08-Nov-17 22:37:10

The solicitor you plan to use for conveyancing should be able to recommend a ‘red book’ or valuation surveyor. These are the people who do valuations for probate or divorce. There are usually a couple used by local solicitors who will know the local property market well.

peachypops Wed 08-Nov-17 22:41:34

Needmoresleep that's great advice, thank you very much. I think I have a plan!

fucksakefay Wed 08-Nov-17 22:55:12

Can look on RICS website for a residential valuer too
Costs about £1k + though

JoJoSM2 Thu 09-Nov-17 14:05:18

Estate agents are sales people and don’t need any professional qualifications. Like stated above, get a RICS valuer. They are properly qualified and the people who value things for banks.

Ttbb Thu 09-Nov-17 14:09:45


SilverSpot Thu 09-Nov-17 14:12:08

@fucksakefay does a valuation really cost £1k? You get a valuation in the homebuyer report and that costs £500 ish?

fucksakefay Thu 09-Nov-17 17:34:19

They do for divorce proceedings for court yes
Perhaps it's cheaper if not for court

KitKat1985 Thu 09-Nov-17 20:12:40

We got an independent valuation by a RiCs surveyor. Cost about £350.

maitaimojito Thu 09-Nov-17 20:16:41

Call around a few local surveyors to get a quote for an Red Book valuation. Depending on the value of the house and location it’ll cost around £400 - £500.

YNK Thu 09-Nov-17 20:19:59


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: