Talk

Advanced search

Ahh which job first???

(6 Posts)
user71017 Wed 08-Nov-17 18:54:46

We're doing a full house refurb (for my sins) and we can now see the light at the end of the tunnel...

20th November, new kitchen is being installed. Old one is already ripped out and we want to have the oak flooring sanded and stained. Does this get done before or after kitchen?

Pro of before...it's done, units are just built on top of it.

Pro of after...lovely wood flooring won't get battered as fitters are installing kitchen.

Wwyd?

(Disclaimer, now fed up of all things house related after painting and decorating 10 rooms, carpeting and flooring everywhere, new windows, garage conversion, new ensuite, landscaping...)

NoParticularPattern Wed 08-Nov-17 19:05:37

I’d do the floor first I think. That way if you ever change the layout or remove a cabinet/appliance then you don’t have an unfinished floor underneath. I’d just also make sure you make it very clear to workmen that the floor is not to be wrecked. Assuming they literally have a kitchen to fit and no pipes/sockets etc to move then I can’t see how it would be a problem to ask them to look after it a little!

PurpleWithRed Wed 08-Nov-17 19:08:05

Floor first or they won't get to the edges of the units without damaging them. Ask the kitchen fitters to cost for proper floor protection during the fitting.

didireallysaythat Wed 08-Nov-17 20:22:06

We had these

www.wickes.co.uk/Proplex-Surface-Protection-Sheet-1200mm-x-2400mm/p/118670

over our entrance hall parquet floor for 2 years while having the bath room redone, the back of the house knocked through, trolleys with the structural steels brought through, you name it.

If they get a rip just duck tape another one over the top.

user71017 Thu 09-Nov-17 05:53:14

Thank you

johnd2 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:37:52

Most floors are laid floating on top of an underlay and not suitable to build fitted future on top.
You can likely get away with it, but you're supposed to fit the furniture on top the structural floor and then put the decorative flooring around it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now