Talk

Advanced search

Utility room/cloakroom

(31 Posts)
hotcookie Wed 08-Nov-17 08:47:35

We are hoping to do an extension, which will involve making an upstairs family bathroom.

Current bathroom is downstairs, off the kitchen, so planning on making into a utility room (although likely just with tumble dryer and units rather than washing machine-as it is has a well designed space in the kitchen, but we could move it if there was space) but would like to keep a downstairs loo (will also have 1 on 1st floor in family bathroom & one in ensuite in loft conversion)

The room is 1.8x 3.1m and we have a door at one end (on the left) and planning on putting an entrance to understairs cupboard at the other end (on the right) -as currently access is awkward as we have to move sofa in living room, and there is a window along the right hand wall

If we put a separate room in for toilet it would restrict available space, but husband thinks we shouldn't have toilet just in the room, it should be sectioned off. I keep seeing houses that have combined utility/toilets and personally prefer having the sink in the same room as the toilet without a door in between.

Would having a toilet in the same room as utility be a deal breaker for people? Should I just suck up losing 1/4-1/3 of the space for this, or can it be done? Thanks grin

Not putting door at other end is an option, but we like the idea of the cupboard being more accessible.

SilverSpot Wed 08-Nov-17 08:50:21

I think a loo-tility is perfectly acceptable and a good use of space.

TwoBlueFish Wed 08-Nov-17 08:53:35

We currently have 2 very small rooms next to each other, one has toilet the other has the washing machine. It’s a complete waste of space and the dryer currently lives in the garage. Plan is to knock them together and have a utility/downstairs loo combined.

iknowimcoming Wed 08-Nov-17 09:01:52

Perfectly acceptable imo, a friend has a new build with this design and they have cupboard doors over the W/m and t/d so it looks very sleek but it wouldn’t bother me without that, have seen plenty of houses with it. Make sure you get a tall cupboard in there if you can for ironing board, mops and hoover storage.

hotcookie Wed 08-Nov-17 11:40:54

awesome, thanks for opinions
Now I just need to persuade husband I'm right on this!

SeaToSki Wed 08-Nov-17 11:52:28

Its actually a downstairs loo with a bit of extra space for the washer dryer!

Mrsladybirdface Wed 08-Nov-17 15:02:36

We have a lootility..best thing ever

Archipops Wed 08-Nov-17 15:07:08

I think you’ll need an architect at some point in the near future

Mybestusername Wed 08-Nov-17 20:54:53

I have this - originally we had a downstairs cloakroom off the kitchen and we then extended it into the kitchen to incorporate a small utility area (with dryer on top of washing machine). I prefer it to having machines in the kitchen as it means you can shut the door on them.
Love lootility never thought of that grin

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 09-Nov-17 08:29:11

We’re buying a new build that had this. It’s our one big compromise with the house but I think it’ll be fine once we’re in. My mum keeps saying we can’t though - guests can’t wee where the washing machine is apparently! hmm

StatisticallyChallenged Thu 09-Nov-17 09:24:47

We have this, only in our main bathroom rather than just a cloakroom. The WM and TD are build in to a unit at one end and you wouldn't know that they're there (unless they're on of course!)

We have a countertop sink on top of ours which makes it even less obvious.

thecatsthecats Thu 09-Nov-17 10:03:00

Would a potential compromise be a thin partition without a door, so you don't feel like you're doing your business in a laundry room?

So, say, toilet in a corner facing across the short end of the room, with a thin partition so you can't see it when you enter the room, but no door separating it off from the rest of the room, especially the sink?

A buyer could more easily imagine closing it off, and you could feel private - I must admit I don't like going to the loo in huge bathrooms!

YorkshireTea86 Thu 09-Nov-17 11:21:21

We have just made our downstairs w.c and a big useless cupboard into a lootility. Well I say that we haven't plumbed the toilet and sink in yet but the room has been made and washer and dryer are in there. The room is 1.7m x 2.5m with just one door.
If I'm bothered about people seeing the washer and dryer they can use the upstairs bathroom but tbh I can't see me being bothered. I don't see how it's any different to them being in the kitchen where they were previously, but then again I don't tend to leave the washing in there.

hotcookie Thu 09-Nov-17 13:40:11

We have an architect, but this is more of a layout decision than an architectural one.

The loo has to be in the bottom right corner, as that is where the waste is. Adding a partition, or wall, would mean making the window on the right hand wall smaller. I think it's adding the door to understairs cupboard that is making things more awkward, as the loo, outside wall for venting dryer/washing machine waste etc, window and the planned entrance to the cupboard are all on the RHS of the room. If we don't do that we can have a proper U of cupboards & fit everything easily. But it's currently such a faff to get in under the stairs and it's such useful space!

StatisticallyChallenged Thu 09-Nov-17 16:49:04

Do you already have a vented dryer? If not a plumbed in condenser, possibly with heat pump, would get you some layout freedom as you wouldn't need the appliances on the outside wall. Getting water and drainage to a different spot shouldn't be too bad.

johnd2 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:31:11

@hotcookie

"We have an architect, but this is more of a layout decision than an architectural one"
I think your architect needs to go back to school, architecture is about the relationship between people and spaces, so if he thinks layout isn't his job he needs sacking!

Archipops Fri 10-Nov-17 01:48:18

you should get your architect to help you out. he/she’s had at least 8 years of architectural education, a house layout should be easy to enable you to make a decision. besides you and your family, he/she’s best because he knows the physical constraints of your house and spaces and he knows minimum requirement for the spaces. Unless, he’s already drawn out the options and you’re trying to decide which one?

hotcookie Fri 10-Nov-17 13:46:02

We haven't discussed it with them tbh-I honestly thought it was a minor detail. We are starting again from scratch now with a different architect (as our last one didn't listen to what we wanted, didn't advise what we could have done under PD, just drew plans that ultimately gave us a not very good space, with a very complex build, after initially being rejected by planning)

Previous one insisted on building a wall around the loo. I'm not sure a condenser dryer would make that much difference-the other wall has the radiator on it, so it's limited in space too. Its cutting out a big corner for a door to understairs cupboard, and potentially another one at the other end to wall off the loo that limits the space I think. Will discuss with them when we next meet (although this part would be the last thing to be done, and if we didn't knock through into cupboard or build a wall we probably would just have the units & plumbing fitted by a kitchen supplier)

iknowimcoming Fri 10-Nov-17 13:54:29

I can’t quite picture the layout (diagram?) but could you incorporate the space from the under stairs cupboard into the lootilty or alternatively use that space for the i.e. toilet off the utility in the understairs cupboard maybe?

StatisticallyChallenged Fri 10-Nov-17 15:04:35

A diagram would really help actually. If you're doing lots of work then I'd treat the radiator as moveable tbh.

hotcookie Tue 14-Nov-17 14:21:00

Sorry-things got away with me this weekend.

Here is a very badly drawn, not to scale diagram. The room is about 1.8m wide by 3.1 and my crap picture makes it look more square.

Using the understairs cupboard as toilet wouldn't be great as there would be a fair distance to soil pipe, and also-I want to continue to use the space it to store crap-not have visitors see it!

The loo is actually currently at 90 degrees to what this shows, but the original one was where I show it here-so the soil pipe would be directly behind.

So as you can (sort of) see, if I didn't do the door I could have a good u-shape of units/sink/space for washing machine & TD. If we make a cubicle/room for loo it also really restricts the space in here

StatisticallyChallenged Tue 14-Nov-17 16:37:54

It looks from that like you would have enough space to the right of the radiator for wm and td side by side

hotcookie Tue 14-Nov-17 19:02:53

I think we would, but we already have a decent vented dryer and that is an interior wall.

hotcookie Tue 14-Nov-17 19:04:10

Sorry, pressed post too soon. I really don't want to have to change the dryer. And also-part of the floor is solid rather than floorboards, so plumbing the washing machine might be trickier on that side too

StatisticallyChallenged Tue 14-Nov-17 19:08:32

Where is the plumbing at the moment? Tbh with the two doors and fixed loo location I'm not sure where else it can go?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: