Talk

Advanced search

I hate my builder 😭😭

(16 Posts)
LJH79 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:24:37

Having couple of walls knocked out and now Kitchen and bathroom. Builder is a total idiot and seems to be rushing the entire job through. They fitted the kitchen units and then at weekend arranged for carpenter to come and fit solid wood worktops without the wall being plastered. So they come back and plaster today after our lovely oak tops have gone in and leave wet cardboard on the tops and have dripped plaster which has now made some black water marks. So angry as I don't see why anyone would fit worktops before plastering the walls. The carpenter couldn't believe it. So upset returning home from work and luckily hubby realised cardboard was wet. We have text builder tonight and his response was they should dry out!! They also haven't bothered covering the carpets and they are getting filthy. Worried about upsetting them half way through the job. Not sure what else we can say? His response is shit every time!

TeamRick Mon 06-Nov-17 19:27:05

Don't get me started! I've just sacked mine!

Come & join us on the Extensions 17- all builders are dickheads thread! 😀

LJH79 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:34:40

Well my manager bloody recommended and he's clearly shit! Oooh will have to join that thread. They've just started bathroom now and left all the debris everywhere so can't even use the toilet when they could have cleared it away. Two small children around as well. They have clearly used toilet upstairs as well and not covered stairs. Not covered carpet where they were plastering. The list goes on... my manager is an idiot too so no idea why I went with her recommendation!

TeamRick Mon 06-Nov-17 19:40:15

I'm really sorry about your worktops, that is really rubbish!

decentchap Mon 06-Nov-17 20:00:38

Give yourself some satisfaction by telling your builder you are totting up the cost of his carelessness/disregard and will reduce the final account by the amount you have assessed - also suggest you will be keeping a retention against defects.
Always make sure you owe them A LOT. If the build is causing real concern, call in building control from the local council and ask their advice. They tend to be very helpful. No excuse for shit/careless work/damage - they pay!

Flamingale Mon 06-Nov-17 20:33:23

Good advice from decentchap.

Why do builders think they sre doing us a favour when we are paying them a lot of money and expect the job to be done properly. Then they have the cheek to be condescending when you complain when things are not done properly!

I've now realised after builders did my bathroom, kitchen and living room asa job lot that sometimes it may be better to break jobs down into smaller sections. Then that way if you don't like them and/or their workmanship you can get rid of then sooner before they cut corners in the rest of the house.

Sunisshining12 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:35:40

Oh god not another one. Why oh why are they like this!

I'm coming to the end of ours & anything that has involved tradesmen has caused more stress than anything I've ever experienced.

Mainly because they never ever listen & like you have no regard to your home. They can't even do anything as simple as put some cheap polythene/rugs down over your carpet? Seriously.

They are thick as shit and charge like £200+ a day. That's £50k a year take home. How do we live in this society?

Problem we faced is my husband is a wuss & never wanted confrontation. I am a little more outspoken but even I was too anxious to say anything. Then one day I just blew. It all came out. He left and never came back. I felt great and didn't give a shit

officerhinrika Mon 06-Nov-17 21:34:36

Doesn’t matter how long they are there or how much you liked them at the beginning, you will hate them by the time that they finish. That’s why you should never employ a builder you are friends withgrin

OliviaBenson Mon 06-Nov-17 21:41:00

I'd insist that you get replacement worktops. I'd also insist that they pay to clean your carpets after the work is completed.

Believeitornot Mon 06-Nov-17 21:55:15

You need to speak to them as soon as there is a problem and do it to their face.

I’ve learnt this the hard way and am still learning. (<waves to TeamRick>

I would present him with worktop - well when he comes over, show it to him and tell him he needs to fix this. You can do it politely with a smile but tell him anyway.

ForgivenessIsDivine Tue 07-Nov-17 05:54:55

Sunisshining... I realise you are annoyed, but it is very rude!

And 200 pounds per day, assuming 10 bank holidays and 25 days annual leave would give a net salary of 38,000.

johnd2 Tue 07-Nov-17 09:41:24

Forgiveness I'd love to upgrade to 10 bank holidays! Where do I sign up?
Also I make that 45k not 38.
(260-25-10)*200
But agreed that it's not as much as it looks when you realise you get no pension, no sick leave and none of the other small benefits.

whiskyowl Tue 07-Nov-17 09:49:28

I think you have to keep a close eye, at all times, on both the workflow and the order. You must have known that they were putting in the kitchen and the worktops before the walls were finished - why didn't you say something before the units were fitted??? I'm not excusing your builder: they've been utterly shit, but it is important to ask questions pretty constantly about what is happening and why. You can have conversations that are perfectly pleasant about this - it doesn't have to be an interrogation or a confrontation, let alone a screaming match. smile

ForgivenessIsDivine Tue 07-Nov-17 12:06:54

My mistake... yes it is 8 bank holidays, not 10, 45K gross gives 35K net salary.

Humptynumpty02 Tue 07-Nov-17 12:35:00

£45k gives £33.5k net salary, bit were splitting hairs.

Sunisshining12 Tue 07-Nov-17 21:06:23

Oh ffs really? Because all builders pay their taxes don't they, I mean it's not like most of them demand cash.

Note that I said £200+ PLUS. Average around here is more like £280 per day CASH.

And even if it were £35k take home, then fuck me that's a pretty decent wage considering how many tea/fag/shite breaks they have. Above the average UK wage, no qualifications required either.

I've built 4 houses, renovated 2 and trust me they are all the same. OP Speak up now, just say the worktops ruined it will need replacing, and my carpets are going to need a professional clean.

Sorry I am not a rude person at all, but as spk as I hear the B word I turn into a psycho. exiting the thread before I combust

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: