Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fixtures and fittings left behind

(15 Posts)
TigerBreadAddict Mon 06-Nov-17 18:28:27

We bought our house and moved in mid August.
It was quite a saga due to crazy vendor. They hadn't even packed when we arrived with van loaded after completion and we had a hell of a day moving their stuff out so that we could move our stuff in!
We have since found the boiler had a fault and we paid to get it repaired. We were told it was under warranty but the vendor hadn't paid the company who fit it so they wouldn't honour warranty (also fault was due to system being left on fill and overflowing).
We've also had faults with gas meter and dishwasher. Fixed at our expense.
The crazy vendor has contacted to say they would like to send someone to collect their very nice light fittings in 2 rooms. On checking the fixtures and fittings form they are excluded from sale.
However, surely they have a responsibility to remove them before completion?! And if they are entitled to come and remove them, is there a time limit as we are approaching 3 months since completion now?
DH is saying they have to send a qualified electrician and not one of their cronies as they've suggested. So if we have to let them remove them, can we insist on this?
I know we need to contact our solicitor but picking the brains of the hive whilst I fume at their cheek!

user263781638 Mon 06-Nov-17 18:42:19

As far as I’m aware anything left on completion is now the new home owners, tell them to stick it

UrsulaPandress Mon 06-Nov-17 18:43:23

Just say no.

chocolateorangeowls Mon 06-Nov-17 18:46:58

Just tell them you assumed they didn’t want them as they weren’t taken at the time of completion so you have already had them changed and the old ones thrown away. They don’t need to know they are still there ...

FinallyDecidedOnUserName Mon 06-Nov-17 18:54:59

What @chocolateorangeowls said.

GrockleBocs Mon 06-Nov-17 19:02:25

I agree with pp. They don't have any rights to come in to your house to take what is now your property and even if you were nice enough to let them you should insist on him paying an electrician that puts up replacement ceiling roses. Preferably an electrician you choose and have contact details for.

nc1234567 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:04:33

I agree with @chocolateorangeowls

They should have taken them when moving out

fucksakefay Mon 06-Nov-17 19:05:53

Don't know what the legal position is but I'd say no - check with your conveyancing sol though.

Bluntness100 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:10:54

Ii don’t think things going wrong after completion you can blame them for that’s home ownership. Faults occur in things.

For thr lights it’s subjective. But you could just say you replaced them, sorry, they are gone. Personally though I’d let them as long as it’s a qualified electrician, I wouldn’t want to be looking at them thinking I’d basically nicked someone’s light fittings.

Flamingale Mon 06-Nov-17 20:05:52

Once completion takes place solicitors wash their hands of you if there are any disputes regarding fittings and fixtures. This is what happened to me when many items that should have stayed were removed by the vendor.

Apparently you are supposed to check the day before completion the condition of the house and ensure compliance with the list. Only then if there are issues do you have redress, for example delaying completion until matter rectified.

So the answer is that if they wanted their light fittings they should have removed them, along with the rest of their belongings on the day of completion before you turned up to move into your new house and certainly not 3 months later.

So tell them politely no they can't have the lights. No need to fib and say you got rid of them. But of course if you have a prickly concious then fib if it makes you feel better.

BlueA4Paper Mon 06-Nov-17 22:11:56

What sort of crazy person expects to be able to retrieve fixtures 3 months after they've moved! Too late - and you definitely wouldn't have nicked their lights. Some people are unbelievable.

KarriPotter Mon 06-Nov-17 22:49:33

I’d give a quick call to the solicitor that handled your sale but I’m almost 100% sure that the crazy person does not have a leg to stand on and given the grief you’ve already had, do not entertain or humour them in any way or she’s just gonna carry on.

TigerBreadAddict Mon 06-Nov-17 22:55:16

Thanks. Yes, it's how I feel too. They caused so much hassle and left appliances that they must have known were faulty (and actually caused boiler fault by leaving the tap on!) that I have no goodwill.
Have sent email to solicitor, will let you know response.

SilverSpot Tue 07-Nov-17 11:04:22

Yeah, no chance.

Unless I hated the light fittings and they paid for an electrician of my choosing to come and replace on a date of my choosing.

TigerBreadAddict Tue 07-Nov-17 16:02:00

No they're lovely!
Solicitor says yes legally they are hers and we should therefore allow an electrician in to remove them and replace with ones of our choosing at her expense.
However for now I am just going to wait and see if she pursues it. One text out of the blue in 3 months. How keen is she?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now