Painting brown tables with chalky paint

(8 Posts)
Dowser Sun 05-Nov-17 22:11:09

It’s not going well.
Said on the tin...stir well...tick
Thin coats...yes doing that, but the paint seems to slide on and slide off

Can anyone reassure me the next coat will be better please

ToadTheVampireThreadKiller Mon 06-Nov-17 12:41:10

Does it say you can paint over the existing finish? It is rare to find a paint that will do that although many claim to.

I bought a 'shabby chic' table as it was the size and shape I wanted, intending to re-paint it, the paint washes off, wax and all. It is one of the expensive chalk paints, just painted on with no prep.

Tika77 Mon 06-Nov-17 13:42:28

IF it’s the b&q one, you need to sand it first.

CourtneyLoveIsMySpiritAnimal Mon 06-Nov-17 13:49:49

Which brand is it? You’re supposed to be able to paint any surface without sanding it first with chalk paint.

If it’s Annie Sloane, I’ve found that to be quite thin so I leave it with the lid off for a while to thicken up a bit and it seems to go on better.

I got fed up of chalk paint altogether though but that’s another story.

Tika77 Mon 06-Nov-17 13:53:00

Really Courtney? I always dilute AS paints. 😀

The chalky finish one needed sanding but it went on so nicely... until I out their laquer on, which made it totally sticky.

CourtneyLoveIsMySpiritAnimal Mon 06-Nov-17 14:00:08

Yes, I know you’re supposed to do several thin coats but it bores me to tears. Then obviously it gets too thick and you have to start adding water again.

I’ve actually come to hate chalk paint. The finish is crap for anything that gets any kind of use. It has to be waxed, but it still doesn’t really give it any kind of protection but makes it’s impossible to paint over again if you get bored.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Mon 06-Nov-17 14:22:51

How did you prepare the surface?

ToadTheVampireThreadKiller Mon 06-Nov-17 15:42:32

You are to supposed be able to paint over anything with chalk paints, according to the sales hype, however when you actually read the small print on the tin you find that you do actually have to prepare it first. Apparently Annie Sloan does tell you that you don't need to prepare surfaces first. That is the one that washed off the table I bought, which had not been prepared, just painted, distressed badly and waxed a bit. Oleum is one that requires prep. I have actually looked at all the chalk finish paints I could find and not one of them was capable of making it an easy job.

To get a good finish it is unlikely that you can do it the easy way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now