Talk

Advanced search

Utility room

(3 Posts)
vinoandbrie Sat 04-Nov-17 19:12:33

I'm looking to make a utility room in one of the rooms in the basement.

The room has plug points but no pipes. I have no idea how to even describe to a plumber what I want doing. I could say 'I want you to put in pipes so that I can have a washing machine in this room', surely there is a more technical way to put it?!

Also, what should I expect to pay for this? If it's relevant, the boiler is in a cupboard in this basement room.

TIA for any advice on this 😊

Callmecordelia Sat 04-Nov-17 21:19:52

When I asked a plumber to quote for a similar job - pipes in the garage - I just said that I wanted to plumb in my washing machine and tumble dryer, and could he quote for that. It was just under £400, including VAT.

It helped that I had a waste pipe easily accessible, it was getting the water into the garage that was more of a challenge. It wasn't something that could be quoted over the phone, he had to visit to check it all out first.

ownedbySWD Sat 04-Nov-17 21:41:54

I think it would be more expensive than in a ground floor room, you will need a special waste water pump to get the water into the pipes at ground floor level. If that makes sense? We have a basement and I considered moving the washing machine down there but couldn't be bothered with the hassle and expense!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now