Talk

Advanced search

House layout and bathrooms - floor plans included

(16 Posts)
harrietm87 Sat 04-Nov-17 09:43:24

Hello. I've posted about this before when trying to decide what to do with layout - consensus was to try to have an ensuite so as to get a second bathroom upstairs, but we won't be able to do that now (boring plumbing and budget reasons).

So the issue is - we have a 4 bedroom house. 4th bedroom is tiny, bathroom is even tinier. No room for a bath and shower, or even a shower above the bath as there are sloping ceilings and the wall against the hallway is curved. At the moment there's just a big bath in there.

Downstairs we're going to convert the dining room to kitchen, so the old kitchen could be a utility room or bathroom or both. Is it better to have 2 bathrooms next to each other (and lose bedroom 4 which would be a study) than have a downstairs bathroom? Or should we knock the bathroom and bedroom 4 together to make a big bathroom?

I'm pregnant with our first and would like 2 or 3 children (all being well). We plan to do a loft conversion in mid-long term (5+years) and would add a bathroom then.

Any advice on a good layout/ where to put bathrooms welcome!

namechangedtoday15 Sat 04-Nov-17 09:52:38

Maybe put a loo in the existing kitchen but have it as a utility - washing machine, dryer. We moved 7 years ago (with 3 under 5) and my priority list was catchment for school, then a utility room so other than location, my absolute non-negotiable. I think you can potentially wait for an extra bathroom if you have plans to convert the loft.

RandomMess Sat 04-Nov-17 09:53:08

Old kitchen - WC, laundry room, cloakroom.

Upstairs bathroom I would have a separate WC with hand basin then room with bath/shower/handbasin. Or possibly create an ensuite for the back bedroom.

You could squeeze in a study in the future either in large front bed or loft conversion if you really needed one.

SeaToSki Sat 04-Nov-17 10:01:40

Can you switch bedroom 4 to being the bathroom and use the old bathroom as the study. It will give you a bit more space, the plumbing shouldnt be too difficult as it is right next door, and you could probably build a built in desk to make the most of the study space. Downstairs I would just do a loo and hand basin with a decent utility space.

butterfly56 Sat 04-Nov-17 10:08:20

Sorry can't see the plans as too small.
Downstairs wet room/shower room
Space for washing machine.

Orangebird69 Sat 04-Nov-17 10:13:29

Get a toilet downstairs. You'll be glad of it when you're potty training...

crumpet Sat 04-Nov-17 10:17:10

We did similar. The old kitchen down stairs had a loo and basin, then behind a wall of cupboards we had a store/coat cupboard, and a utility cupboard with a kitchen sink, washing machine under, and boiler over. When not In use all cupboards were closed so the room just looked like a downstairs loo. Probably loads of hidden utility cupboard pictures on Pinterest.

fucksakefay Sat 04-Nov-17 10:20:38

Can you get a loo, shower and utilities (washer, dryer) downstairs in old kitchen ?
Upstairs knock through for big family bathroom. You can add fourth bedroom and ensuite on when you do loft extension and then you have three good sized rooms and a decent family bathroom for now.
You won't need another bedroom until you have a third child if ever.
The house kind of looks too small to be a four bedroom as it is.

Babytalkobsession Sat 04-Nov-17 10:53:38

I would knock through bedroom 4 and the bathroom to make a large family bathroom with good storage.

Definitely incorporate a loo downstairs. We've just added a utility that has a small run of kitchen units, kitchen sink, washer & drier on one side, and loo & shower on the other side.

SilverSpot Sat 04-Nov-17 11:19:03

Turn the kitchen into a downstairs shower room, WC and utility room.

Either swap bathroom and bed 4 (like PP suggests the old bathroom could work as a study) or knock through and create a lovely family bathroom woth sep bath shower and stoorage.

Later if you actually need a proper 4th bedrhen go into the attic and create a master suite up there.

harrietm87 Sat 04-Nov-17 11:22:37

Thanks for all the replies. Yep we can fit shower, toilet, sink and washer and dryer into utility (old kitchen) just about. That would give us a shower for now and could think about knocking through later.

I know that people seem to really hate downstairs bathrooms though - so you think that's a problem? Guess we could take it out once we do loft/if we ever move.

PickAChew Sat 04-Nov-17 11:27:57

You already have an upstairs bathroom so one downstairs shouldn't put people off. They're great with muddy kids, dogs etc.

SilverSpot Sat 04-Nov-17 11:56:01

I hate downstairs bathrooms when they are the only one, and ones where you have to walk thru the kitchen to access.

Having a ‘bonus’ shower room st the base of the stairs like yours would not put me off at all.

Orangebird69 Sat 04-Nov-17 12:09:35

Having a downstairs bathroom is fine as long as there is one upstairs.

smu06set Sat 04-Nov-17 21:51:12

Could you:
Take the bathroom and bedroom 4, change sizes to get either one big bathroom or a smaller one and an ensuite for bed 3
Split the existing master into two bedrooms? Looks as if it has 2 windows so could be split nicely. Would obviously lose the huge master though.

MissDuke Mon 06-Nov-17 10:38:42

Our main bathroom is downstairs with just a WC upstairs. Our bedroom is downstairs though and the childrens are all upstairs. It certainly works for us!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now