Talk

Advanced search

What colour island?

(11 Posts)
LazySusan11 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:50:18

New kitchen is ivory gloss/natural wood worktops. Want a kitchen island that isn’t to whacky but isn’t the same as the rest of the kitchen.

Can’t get a feel for colours..I don’t enjoy this sort of thing at all! Please help!

4yearsnosleep Sat 04-Nov-17 17:34:57

Navy/dark grey? I’m going for aubergine as I love purple. Really anything would work that you like

LazySusan11 Sat 04-Nov-17 19:13:02

Navy, hadn’t thought of that! Thank you

another20 Sat 04-Nov-17 19:21:42

dark moss green - not gloss tho - a dull flat tone....? Or dull burnt orange? love aubergine / navy as well. Think it needs to be dark?

another20 Sat 04-Nov-17 19:22:17

what colours and materials are the floor and walls?

LazySusan11 Sat 04-Nov-17 19:31:30

Walls will be white (for now until house has ‘settled’) flooring we haven’t yet decided..think we’re going for Karndean vinyl tiles but don’t know if we should go for a large limestone tile effect or a wood effect. I’m not sure with natural wood worktops if a wood floor would be overkill.

In my head this sort of thing is SO much fun, in reality it’s a massive ball ache. I am not good with lots of choice!

I’d like something that’s pretty timeless.

onlyonaTuesday Sat 04-Nov-17 20:00:05

I think Navy would look stunning

junebirthdaygirl Sat 04-Nov-17 20:01:46

Olive green is fab just to confuse you further!

LazySusan11 Sat 04-Nov-17 20:37:38

I’m between green and navy so at least I now only have 2 to choose from!

another20 Sat 04-Nov-17 21:37:49

I dont think that I would do wood floors with a wood top - as they are all on the horizontal plane IYSWIM? unless they were a real contrast? Limestone effect I think would be unobtrusive, merging with the cabinets so showing off the wood work tops and coloured island. I think that I would be careful using a really bright white - if you go into F&B and take samples of your kitchen materials they are very good at advising the best hue (I cant see the difference from a chart myself). Even tho the paint maybe a bit more expensive you wont be doing it twice or spending loads on tester pots - so could break even.

Yellowfairy Sun 05-Nov-17 10:03:23

We have our new kitchen installed in a few weeks and have opted for dark blue and a very pale grey combo. We've had silestone work tops for the dark blue cupboards and wood for the very pale grey island/prep table.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now