Talk

Advanced search

Talk me through viewing a new build...

(15 Posts)
Queenofthedrivensnow Fri 03-Nov-17 16:44:19

Going to see a persimmon home next week. Things I’ve picked up already are demanding the flooring and appliances and a discount before I sign anything or spend any money.

Any other advice?

I’ve also been told the build time needs to be 14-20 weeks for drying out.

I can get the help to buy isa thing for this house and the repayments would be less than my rent. If I can make this work it would improve our standard of living across the board but I need reining in and to be super pragmatic.

Fire away x

lalalonglegs Fri 03-Nov-17 16:50:01

The quality of new-builds can be very low quite variable. If it is part of a development that already has some units occupied, knock on doors and ask the residents how they have found it so far (likewise if there are any similar Persimmon estates locally).

I imagine you are going to see a show home - try not to seduced by the bling. Negotiate hard - the market is stagnating/falling in a lot of areas and developers are aware of this more than anyone, they want to make a sale.

I've never heard the 14-20 week for drying out thing... seems a bit odd.

Queenofthedrivensnow Fri 03-Nov-17 17:08:15

This is not my only house buying option just one of them. There’s lots on mse about it I made some notes. I wasn’t that interested but I’m swayed by the lower repayments - it would open up some other lifestyle things for the dds and I I just don’t want to be hard sold!

lalalonglegs Fri 03-Nov-17 17:27:20

I forgot to add that generally you pay a massive premium on new-build properties. I would always opt for an older property in which the proportions tend to be better. The only advantage that I can think of wrt new build homes is that they are much more energy efficient.

bunerison Fri 03-Nov-17 17:31:35

In my experience they never ever give you enough kitchen cupboards so don't be wowed by a pretty kitchen, check it will work for you as you don't want to be replacing it

Standstilling Fri 03-Nov-17 17:33:52

I used to live near a big Persimmon office - it used to flood every time it rained 😂 If they can't even get their own buildings right...?

GreenTulips Fri 03-Nov-17 17:38:09

Look for the basics

Washing basket?
Small wardrobes?
Small double bed
Small living room furniture
Kitchen bin?
Where the ironing board going?
Count your current kitchen cupboards - how does it measure up?
Place for shoes and coats?

MrsMoastyToasty Fri 03-Nov-17 17:38:41

If there's anything I've learned from Kirstie and Phil it's try to imagine your own stuff in the rooms (and don't be swayed by the lovely shiny things the design team furnish the place with).
Look at ceilings to get the best image of floorspace in a furnished rooms.
See what extras you can get (you can only ask) eg outside tap or extra sockets.

NapQueen Fri 03-Nov-17 17:42:09

Check the dimensions of the third bedroom and take with you the measurements of a single bed, wardrobe and bedside table. It is 99% likely that the third bedroom will be big enough for a cot or toddler bed only.

TeenTimesTwo Fri 03-Nov-17 17:43:58

Really look at the space, show homes often have 2 seater sofas, 4ft6 beds, no TVs etc.

If you go for it and the house isn't fitted yet ask about options to
- upgrade kitchen now (eg more/larger units)
- add more sockets anywhere and everywhere
- ensure there is a cupboard tall enough to take hoover/broom
- pendant light in living room if desired
- full tiling in bathroom
- whatever
Generally this kind of thing is cheaper to do at build time then after you move in.

Ttbb Fri 03-Nov-17 17:50:04

Persimmon homes are notorious for poor build quality in our area. Are there any other builders you can look at? Redrow is particularly good.

Queenofthedrivensnow Fri 03-Nov-17 19:25:13

Thank you I’m just going to take this thread with me when I go and look around

LML83 Fri 03-Nov-17 19:37:57

when I bought my new build (2 years ago) because of the help to buy the builders had the upper hand as help to buy was such a good deal they had lots of people interested.

(we are in Scotland so help to buy is only for new builds may be different elsewhere).

Because of help to buy our home is fantastic value for money and the proportions are good. But you didn't get the fitted wardrobes they show in the show home, or the glass doors downstairs, or the vanity units in the bathroom also only partially tiled.

I still love my house but there were a lot of extras to get it to the standard I wanted.

Moving into a new estate with all family homes means loads of children around as everyone is at a similar stage in life. Friends and family in older areas have more if mix of people. It's great for my children to be able to chap friends doors rather than organise playdates for them all the time.

Good luck, whatever you see don't get carried away there is always another 'perfect house'

Queenofthedrivensnow Fri 03-Nov-17 20:15:59

We have help to buy but the houses I’m looking at are reduced and there is no social
Housing in this area.

shabbycaddy Fri 03-Nov-17 22:37:11

Normal recommendations is to try and leave any decoration for 12 months, especially if the superstructure of the building was built during a very wet period, this will alow for any shrinkage to happen. Rule of thumb is if you can get a pound coin to fit in a shrinkage crack the developer is down to fill, anything less is down to yourselves with decorators caulk etc . I would seriously think about buying from persimmon, they are marked as a 3 star builder for a reason, they might be cheap to other developers in the area, but there is a reason for that on many levels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now