Talk

Advanced search

What colour carpet and how much to spend?

(13 Posts)
ShotsFired Fri 03-Nov-17 15:06:40

My lounge needs a new carpet (very roughly 4m x 5m). Is a high traffic area to garden, so has to be hardwearing but look nice.

Current carpet is a light tan, with cream/oak furniture and neutral decor.

1. Has anyone recently priced that sort of carpet up?
2. Pitfalls I should be aware of?
3. Quandary: The layout of the house is like this pic, with the same carpet throughout the lounge, hallway, stairs and landing. But while I could get away with not changing bedroom carpets, I think it would look odd to have just the lounge changed downstairs? (h/s/l carpets in good condition still)

(The above is why I have put it off so long....)

ShotsFired Fri 03-Nov-17 15:11:41

I am quite drawn to sisal styles - both for their durability and also the textured look of the weave. Are they a possibility (we have a cat and read a mention that may not be suitable for claws getting caught)

www.flooringsuperstore.com/sisal-flatweave-oatbran.html
www.flooringsuperstore.com/sisal-mini-boucle-harvest.html

whiskyowl Fri 03-Nov-17 15:49:02

Do not, for the love of God, go for plain light cream. I speak from bitter experience.

JoJoSM2 Fri 03-Nov-17 15:59:12

If it's leads to the garden, wouldn't it be better to have wood/laminate and a rug in the middle? I would advise against sisal or jute or similar as you can't wash or spill anything on them.

whiskyowl Fri 03-Nov-17 16:00:27

I'd go for LVT - Amtico, Karndean or something. But those are quite a bit more than carpet. Your house looks lovely enough to be worth it, though!

Tronkmanton Fri 03-Nov-17 16:07:11

Do not get Sisal. It’s not hard wearing, cats trash it and worst of all it is ruined if you spill anything on it. We had sisal on our stairs & landing in a house we moved into, builder spilt a cup of coffee on it and the whole lot had to be replaced (2 stair cases & two landings shock) as even professional cleaners couldn’t touch the stain. We replaced it (through builder’s insurance) with a lovely hard wearing ‘Primo Ultra’ carpet (Cormar carpets). It’s bleachable for tough stains smile. It’s also a lot softer under foot than sisal. We’ve got it in a pale grey and it’s seems to be holding up well.

ShotsFired Fri 03-Nov-17 17:25:57

Oh goodness no, that is not my house! Just a rough idea of the layout.
Mine is much more, er, "lived in" grin

I also really, really do not like hard floors. Had them before, not for me, thank you (should have said in OP). We do have a mat area by the garden door - and no kids - so carpet dirtiness has never been a big issue. Although like a pp, light cream sounds nice, but a recipe for disaster when we drink tea, coffee and red wine!

Shame about sisal, it looks so good - until I read these responses...! Good tip with the Primo Ultra thanks, will look them up.

origamiwarrior Fri 03-Nov-17 21:13:52

If you like the sisal look, you can get 100% wool carpet that has been designed to look like sisal (choose the ginger colour)

www.victoriacarpets.com/ranges/default?rangeid=9

It costs about £25/metre though. I haven't got it, but have my eye on it for a cottage we are refurbishing.

bouncydog Sat 04-Nov-17 06:56:44

Anything looped rather than cut pile with cats will get trashed.

ShotsFired Sun 05-Nov-17 11:34:42

Thanks @origamiwarrior and @bouncydog (everyone, actually) for the tips.

Bloody minefield, isn't it!

SarahBeeney Sun 05-Nov-17 12:39:24

We’ve gone for a grey carpet. It looked much darker in the sample than when it was laid. I love it,we paid £16 per square meter and used a local fitter rather than a shop. Having had cream carpets I was keen to go darker. Our walls are light/creamy so we could get away with darker.

SarahBeeney Sun 05-Nov-17 12:42:18

Here it is

ShotsFired Mon 06-Nov-17 14:05:48

Thanks SarahBeeney. Funnily enough a friend went for a similar colour just recently too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now