Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Making a rented house a home

(9 Posts)
MollyHopps Fri 03-Nov-17 07:22:56

Any tips?

I’m about to move into a rented property and am considering how I can make it look like a home without being able to do much on the way of decorating.

Anyone have any experience and can share some tips? I’m surprised there isn’t already a thread for this!

newmumwithquestions Fri 03-Nov-17 07:25:50

Are you sure you're not allowed to decorate? I rent a flat out and as long as it was a relatively neutral colour, I wouldn't object to someone painting.

Poppins2016 Fri 03-Nov-17 07:29:25

Accessorise: curtains, lampshades, rugs, cushions.

If the property has existing curtains/lampshades they could go in the attic (or other storage) until your tenancy ends.

newmumwithquestions Fri 03-Nov-17 07:29:37

Ps If someone asked I'd think they were a good tenant as I'd know they were thinking about what to do to make the flat nice. I've paid for paint before in this situation.

SilverSpot Fri 03-Nov-17 09:04:23

Is it furnished or unfurnished? If you are putting your own furniture in there then its just like normal.

Otherwise, nice throws on the sofa. Nice lamps, cushions, rugs. Large pot plants.

If you have any paintings/prints get them up on the walls. I know some agreements say you can't put anything up on the wall but IMO if you don't go crazy and limit it to two nail hoes per room that is easy to fill and paint over when you leave.

scurryfunge Fri 03-Nov-17 09:07:31

You can use command hooks for pictures...no need to put holes in the wall.

MiaowTheCat Fri 03-Nov-17 09:18:04

I used to have things like some really bright woven wall hangings I used command hooks to hang up when we rented. That, with throws and rugs made a huge difference. I've even done net curtains with lots and lots of the tiny command hooks in the past!

Always got full deposit back so obviously have never wrecked a place!

Sunnyshores Fri 03-Nov-17 10:28:30

You can always ask to paint the odd wall, but permission isnt always given. Despite stating neutral only, Ive had walls painted red GLOSS (yes really), skirtings painted black, red and black stripes, paint tipped over carpets and just really bad painting...

Now, where I have given permission Ive always asked that when the tenancy ends the walls are returned to the original colour. I havent needed to insist on this as actually so far theyve all been done really nicely, but it does mean if I ever had red gloss again I could get them to repaint or take it from their deposit.

I think with this sort of request its always best to have a good (honest) relationship with the ll, perhaps invite them over and show them the paint colours.

scaryteacher Fri 03-Nov-17 16:04:34

Rugs, throws, pictures (second the command strips/hooks), ornaments, books etc. Just unpacking now, and it's beginning to look like home. Will be repeating in 2.5 years when I finally get to move home, but back to my house, so can do what I want with it. Have also put up my own curtains, which helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now