Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen cupboard door trends

(21 Posts)
pleasingone Fri 03-Nov-17 07:04:43

Hi,

Having a new kitchen in a new extension. We prefer the more traditional kitchen style, Matt finish, shaker door. Howdens have a range we like called the Fairford either cashmere or grey, we like the lines & detail on the door.
An independent supplier has given us a reasonable quote for a kitchen however the doors are a smooth finish with less detail. He is advising me that the more detailed doors are less desired and people want the smoother finish these days (I know he wants the sale) DH thinks it looks boring.
Want it to still look ok in a new few years!

Am I incredibly out of touch and old fashioned & unfashionable?

I’ve attached the Howdens door & other option,

I guess it’s individual taste..

LittleWitch Fri 03-Nov-17 07:08:40

I think you should have the kitchen you want, not the one that the supplier thinks that someone else might want in the unknown future when and if you come to sell your house.

wowfudge Fri 03-Nov-17 07:20:49

I agree, have what you want. Try pricing up your chosen design with DIY Kitchens - it may be cheaper and the quality is excellent. I was put off Howdens' kitchens when we viewed a refurbed house with one.

Sallylondon Fri 03-Nov-17 07:25:17

Unless you’re specifically doing up to sell, have the one that YOU like. Who knows what fashion will do, and there is every chance that a future purchaser in 5-10 years(?) would plan to replace the kitchen anyway.
I certainly don’t think your preferred kitchen would be a dealbreaker - it’s fairly neutral (for what it’s worth, I actually prefer it too).

dynevoran Fri 03-Nov-17 07:27:12

Personally I do find shaker kitchens classy but a bit old fashioned, but the consequence is that shaker kitchens will always look stylish and classic. If anything they will date less than other finishes, so just go for what you like.

Bluntness100 Fri 03-Nov-17 07:34:02

There is very little between the two. The coloured one is more modern and sleeker, the shaker I also find a bit old fashioned, but I’d really just go for the one you prefer. You’ve got to live with it.

I would say though, less detail is easier to keep clean.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 03-Nov-17 07:44:08

Who cares what other people like?

It's your kitchen. Have the one you like!

HappyHippyChick Fri 03-Nov-17 07:51:05

I have the Howdens doors that you linked to and I love them (kitchen redone at the beginning of the year) but you should pick the ones that you want and not what somebody who is trying to sell you something says.

As other posters have said, people often refit kitchens when hey move in, and you will have to live with the kitchen until you move out and you don’t want to regret what you have, or wish you’d gone for your first choice.

Fourmagpies Fri 03-Nov-17 07:51:26

We're having the Fairford. I like the grain effect and think it looks better than a smooth finish which on some can look a bit plasticy. Ultimately choose the one you want though as you'll be looking at it for years to come!

cece Fri 03-Nov-17 08:00:46

I personally prefer the second one but YOU should choose the one you like.

whiskyowl Fri 03-Nov-17 08:44:15

Can you go for a shaker-style kitchen that allows the doors to be painted? BIL has just had one of these, and it looks smashing right now, but the colour can easily be changed in future should fashions change!

QuitMoaning Fri 03-Nov-17 09:19:18

I like the look of shaker style but the edge means it is more difficult to clean. As I am lazy, I want it easy so I went for plain handleless.
This works for me and I am delighted with it.

Buy what you want, if you try and please an unknown possible future buyer you won’t get it right and miss out on having something for you.

PigletJohn Fri 03-Nov-17 11:35:04

I'm not at all keen on plastic foil-wrapped doors, because it can peel off. It usually peels off the doors above toaster and kettle (due to heat or steam) and beside dishwasher and oven, but I have even seen it peeling on a display.

You can also get doors covered with plastic laminate, which is the same material used on kitchen worktops, so very hard and durable. There are only hundred or so colours or textures, and they are almost invariably flat slab doors because they are cut from sheet material in a factory.

You can order samples from Egger (other manufacturers are available) after viewing them online, a lot of kitchen companies use their board, they may not mention the maker's colour name or code but you will recognise it.

user1469117700 Fri 03-Nov-17 11:39:54

Howdens is a PVC foil with a woodgrain detail
and the other is a vinyl smooth
you should look at the cost of a painted wood as both coverings above are not actually the best in the kitchen world

feve17 Fri 03-Nov-17 11:40:38

Shaker style kitchens are super classy & will never date. My advice would be to get the style you want & love, especially if you're planning to sell the house any time soon. I'd definitely recommend a painted door as appose to a vinyl wrapped finish, it adds a touch of luxury to the kitchen & they're not much more expensive these days. Also to avoid the kitchen being boring try adding 2 colours to the cabinets, maybe a dark grey at the bottom (on the island) with a light grey at the top etc or add a more interesting worktop, something that can be a feature in the room. Shaker kitchens are like a blank canvas there is so much you can do them to personalise them for yourself. JUst have fun with it & don't let your builder/howdens pressure you!

Llamacorn Fri 03-Nov-17 11:41:38

Definitely chose what you like. You have to live with it and be happy with what you've picked.
However, in the two pictures there isn't much between the doors - I think it's the handles that make a difference.

NotMeNoNo Fri 03-Nov-17 17:13:55

Both Shaker and plain slab doors are classic and have been around for years. The colors handles and styling changes. Slab doors are just a bit more contemporary.

I don't think either of them is particularly hard to clean, it's not like the fussy wood panelled doors with mouldings and arches that used to be popular.

SilverSpot Fri 03-Nov-17 17:21:11

I like slab for ease of cleaning, but shaker is really 'timeless' I think.

NotMeNoNo Fri 03-Nov-17 17:26:51

Sorry I didn't look at photos properly. I think it's that until recently nearly all affordable Shaker kitchens had those grooves. The more expensive "Plain English" ones were smooth. We all want our kitchen to look expensive so perhaps people are preferring the non grooved doors. There's hardly anything in it!

pleasingone Fri 03-Nov-17 19:43:31

Thank you everyone!!

From a distance the doors do look quite similar. I think it’s good advise to go for the kitchen WE like best and not to be swayed by sales people or concerns about potential buyers down the line.

A few of you have suggested painted wooden doors. I’ve had negative reports of these. A friend just spent an eye watering £22k on a small kitchen with wooden doors & they chip very easily, they’ve colour matched some paint for touch ups! Perhaps she has been unlucky.

Pleased to read I am not alone with traditional tastes.
Thanks

pleasingone Fri 03-Nov-17 19:44:33

Interesting idea about the two tone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now