Talk

Advanced search

Family of 5 - do we NEED 2 showers?

(80 Posts)
SueGeneris Thu 02-Nov-17 19:33:59

Or just two loos?

We definitely need two loos. We currently have one upstairs bathroom with a decent enough shower. We're in the process of getting Builders to put in a downstairs loo and shower room but tbh I think I would prefer to have it as a downstairs loo with space for the washer and dryer. It's an existing room (old pantry) so there's only room for a 760 x 800 shower. There is not enough room for loo, shower and appliances. Washer and dryer are currently in the utility which is an old scullery that we intend to convert into a 'garden room' (it's at the very back of the house beyond the kitchen) and it would be much more convenient to have the washer dryer in the pantry/intended downstairs loo as it's more central in the house and I am using them several times a day. If we get them out of the old scullery it will make redesigning that easier as we won't have to fit them in.

Kids are currently small but my feeling is compared to the number of occasions two people will want to shower at the same time (and we need to check pressure will be good enough to handle that) is miniscule compared to the number of times we're doing laundry. DH primarily wants the downstairs shower so he can shower around 10pm twice a week after training without waking the kids but tbh using the upstairs bathroom doesn't wake them anyway.

So I'm wondering if there's anything I'm missing before I try to persuade him to use the intended shower space for appliances. As long as there's a decent sink, loo, mirror and shaving point etc in there, is a second shower REALLY worth it?

Sorry this was unnecessarily long for a post about showers!

Coughingchildren5 Thu 02-Nov-17 20:12:21

I think you should go for the second shower as you do have an alternative spot for the appliances. As kids grow a second shower is great.

Baxdream Thu 02-Nov-17 20:26:45

We’re currently having an ensuite put in. Ours are 12 and 11 and I hate the strict time schedule in the morning to use the bathroom/shower.
I would get the second shower

Ecureuil Thu 02-Nov-17 20:27:48

I’d definitely get a second shower.

SueGeneris Thu 02-Nov-17 20:33:49

Interesting! Unanimous so far ...

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Thu 02-Nov-17 20:35:41

Yes 2 showers. Think ten years down the line and the morning rush. Also property will be easier to sell.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 02-Nov-17 20:36:43

I suppose it depends on how you live - I personally would never use a downstairs shower as I'd hate traipsing through the house to get dressed, and wouldn't expect kids would use it either. We're a family of 5, recently had an ensuite put in so have 2 showers. Had it for about a year and can count on 1 hand the times we've had 2 showers working at once. H and i tend to use the bath at night, v quick shower possibly in a morning, kids shower when they get in from sport or after school so not massive pressure in a morning.

On the other hand, a garden room would add more to the house than an odd utility, so I'd put the appliances in there instead of a shower!

RefuseTheLies Thu 02-Nov-17 20:39:41

Definitely two showers. You'll be saving yourself from a world of pain when you have three teenagers.

sparechange Thu 02-Nov-17 20:42:05

Definitely 2 showers

You can get a pressurised hot water tank if you’re worried about water pressure or needing to run both showers at the same time

SueGeneris Thu 02-Nov-17 20:43:02

I'm wondering if we're more like you, namechanged. DH tends to shower at the gym or in the evening, me in the mornings, DCs currently in the evening. But when they are teens they will probably want to shower before school ... I'm coming from the background that we didn't even have a shower growing up so as a teen I had a v shallow bath in the morning to wash. DH grew up in a family of 5 with one bathroom - come to think of it that's probably why he showers in the evening!

Ecureuil Thu 02-Nov-17 20:43:10

I’m thinking back to when I was a teenager and I think DBro and I would have come to blows most mornings if we only had one shower! We both showered every morning before school/sixth form though.

SueGeneris Thu 02-Nov-17 20:45:45

I'm really torn now! We can only put an ensuite in if we lose a box bedroom which for some crazy reason devalues the house, or I would add a bathroom upstairs.

HemanOrSheRa Thu 02-Nov-17 20:53:21

I have one DS who is 12. We have one bathroom with shower and a large cloakroom with toilet/washbasin. We are looking at jigging it around to fit a shower in. Honestly, I can't imagine sharing a bathroom with 3 teens shockgrin. Don't forget at some point there will be sleepovers etc. I have two stepdaughters in their 20's, when they stay over with their partners it is a nightmare.

ParadiseCity Thu 02-Nov-17 20:54:53

We had two showers, one was better than the other so no one used the inferior one. We took it out, the space is much more useful.

shushpenfold Thu 02-Nov-17 20:57:15

Definitely 2 showers......3 teenagers here and we have a tight rota even with 2 showers! X

Sparklehead Thu 02-Nov-17 21:03:42

We are a family of 5, currently with one upstairs bathroom. We are also about to install a downstairs loo and have decided to put a shower in there, which will mean putting appliances in the kitchen. Ours are still small and have a bath but teenagers can spend hours in the bathroom and think about when they have friends over.

EmmaG78 Thu 02-Nov-17 21:10:36

Family of 4, DC's are girl 11 boy 8, we have 3 showers but only use 2, though I fully imagine that when they're both teens they'll claim one each to save the squabbling during the morning rush!

ParadiseCity Thu 02-Nov-17 21:27:06

But we do have 3 toilets which is great. There are 4 of us.

RandomMess Thu 02-Nov-17 21:28:42

We occasionally have both showers running (3 teen girls me and DH) however I am the only morning shower person. Can you have a separate shower and loo upstairs as that would make the biggest difference.

TheNotSoGoodWife Thu 02-Nov-17 21:32:51

There are 6 of us and one shower (downstairs as well shock).

It is a bit of a logistical challenge but currently 3 of us shower in the morning, 2 in the evening and the youngest (8yo) has a bath (upstairs - luxury) or shower every other evening.

Dh often works away some of the week or works from home which helps too. We are keen to get a shower upstairs but more because of the upstairs/downstairs thing than for a 2nd shower iyswim?

chipscheeseandgravy Thu 02-Nov-17 21:48:02

You mentioned the box room could be a shower room/En-suite, but would devalue the house. Are you planning on moving in the next 10 years? If not you can always convert it when your ready to move.

The shower downstairs can easily be used to hose down muddy children/teens/pets after muddy walks/sports etc. Without litttle jimmy leaving muddy footprints everywhere. Could you have a narrow shower and get the dryer and washing machine along side? I.e stacked on top of each one other? If it’s a ‘spare’ shower it doesn’t need to be huge.

You said you like the idea of a garden room, you can still having laundry equipment in a garden room without it being odd.

I would go for 2 showers, imagine if all 5 of you are going for a meal after school/work and everyone wants a shower before, same goes when the kids are older and want showers before school/college.

FitBitFanClub Thu 02-Nov-17 22:28:32

Second shower without a doubt. With teenagers in the house hogging one bathroom, it will be hard work without an alternative.

DramaAlpaca Thu 02-Nov-17 22:32:30

I don't honestly know how we'd have managed without two showers as a family of five who all want a shower every morning. It would've been mayhem.

When you have teenagers, you will bless having two showers.

Battleax Thu 02-Nov-17 22:36:43

Not only do I agree with the consensus re teens and morning queue for shower, I also have a combined downstairs cloak room and utility and I HATE it with a passion. The Americans apparently think we're grubby for traditionally having washing machines in kitchens. The juxtaposition of loo and laundry is far worse and I can't use the utility room the way I'd like to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now