Talk

Advanced search

Chipboard floor damp......is this urgent?

(6 Posts)
Ladycsparkles Thu 02-Nov-17 18:35:39

Ongoing issue with leaking shower for several months, landlady has agreed to have shower replaced.

Now I'm getting water coming up through the floor tiles (they're the slot together type) when we walk over them- I took some of the tiles up this evening to see what I could see and hopefully get more info for landlady as she lives at the other end of the country.

The base floor appears to be chipboard and is sopping wet on about 80% of that end of the bathroom. There was underlay which was mouldy and when I tried to lift some of the underlay off I took some of the chipboard with it.

Are we about to fall through the ceiling? I'm now worried about letting the children go in the bathroom!

I have emailed pictures but if this is urgent I need to get this across to her given that she doesn't live locally and hasn't seen anything other than photos.

wowfudge Thu 02-Nov-17 18:44:14

Yes! If it's sodden you could put a foot through it and if it's sodden under the bath, the bath could go through the floor and ceiling.

wowfudge Thu 02-Nov-17 18:45:25

And if there are any electrics under that floor/in the ceiling of the room below then that could be an issue.

Ladycsparkles Thu 02-Nov-17 18:51:46

Thanks for the response- the bathroom is above the kitchen and there is a light fitting in the kitchen ceiling.

The wet bit is at the shower end of the bathroom- thankfully it doesn't appear to have reached the bath. I'm assuming the whole shower could well be unsafe to use even when its replaced as its probably under there too which means the whole lot may need to come out (its a walk in shower)

I'm guessing this is a huge job sad

Ladycsparkles Thu 02-Nov-17 19:04:33

Could someone possibly help me with wording for an email please? I need to get the point across politely but firmly that this needs sorting NOW before one of the children or I end up going through the floor

specialsubject Thu 02-Nov-17 19:37:20

Include wording to the effect that you will contact environmental health if urgent action isn't taken. And that there is a safety hazard.

Back up with a letter ( demand address)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now