Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Moving tips please

(16 Posts)
jmh740 Thu 02-Nov-17 17:29:55

I looks like we will be getting the keys to our new house next week I've lived in my house for over 20 years so it's a while since I last moved! please can you give me your best moving tips I'm not really sure where to start.

nightshade Thu 02-Nov-17 17:49:27

Lol...if you haven't already started then get going quickly!!..need to declutter and get rid of everything that isn't used!..

Work through room by room...see through large plastic bags are great for clothes and bedding...also can be easily found...

Large garden waste bags are great for awkward shaped toys/ outdoor stuff...

Use towels and tea towels for wrapping fragile stuff...laundry baskets for toiletries and bathroom items...

Label all boxes with name of each room and rough idea of items..

Don't forget the loft!

ApplesTheHare Thu 02-Nov-17 17:51:03

Congratulations and my one tip is that hiring packers as well as movers is WELL worth it.

jmh740 Thu 02-Nov-17 18:20:59

We had a good clear out when the estate agent came round to do the photos.
The bag idea is really good thanks I wanted to go out today and get boxes but oh doesn't want to waste money on boxes.
I'm really scared of heights I've never been in the loft but I know ds pram is in there he's 23 this month! His dad put it in there 20+ years ago. Oh is disabled and due an operation on the 15th he's not been well lately so moving thoughts have been on the back burner luckily we're in a position where there's not a huge rush to move in we don't have to do it all on one day although not sure how oh will be after his operation so if we could get most of it moved next weekend that would be ideal

SavageCabbage Thu 02-Nov-17 18:24:45

Next week!

You better crack on. We have moved loads of times.
Get rid of as much as you can.
Label your boxes with the room and a clue as to what’s in.
Put a clean set of bedding for each bed in one box and make up all the beds at the other end before you are too knackered to do so.

Ausparent Thu 02-Nov-17 18:26:32

We used packers for our last move because we were moving overseas and it was a condition of the insurance. However, it was only about £200 and we were able to just walk out of the door which was awesome!

dontquotemeondailymail Thu 02-Nov-17 18:35:13

Label each box with the room you need it to end up in, and then when you get to the new place, put post-its on the room doors so the movers know where to put the boxes.

Use suitcases for clothes, bedding.

Keep a list on your phone of all phone numbers connected to the move - solicitors, estate agent etc. If it's all in one place it's easier to use amid chaos.

AyeAyeFishyPie Thu 02-Nov-17 22:38:17

Duvet with cover on, pillows with cases on and a sheet in a bin-bag for each person - will make making the beds up much quicker. Keep one box of stuff that is last out and first in - kettle, lunch/biscuits, passports/docs for new house. Good luck!

NotMeNoNo Fri 03-Nov-17 08:21:19

If you are moving in a week I would really suggest getting proper boxes, packaging and tape. 50 boxes minimum. If you aren't sure what's in your loft it's probably a van load on its own (ours nearly was!). A roll of pallet wrap (heavy duty cling film) is vv useful too. Then get rid of large bulky junk to tip/charity /Facebook.

BewareOfTheToddler Fri 03-Nov-17 08:44:10

Pay for packers. Just pay for packers. Around £250 to £300 for our move this summer and worth every penny - included all packaging materials as well. It's like having locusts descend on your house - they're really quick and it also means you're covered for any breakages.

But set aside what you need for the morning of the move before they arrive - pack an overnight bag for everyone, and have a box for cleaning products (so you can clean round them as they finish each room) and the kettle/mugs/teabags/kitchen roll/loo roll, etc.

Oh, and run down the fridge and freezer to a minimum, and order a food shop to arrive the evening you move in. But have the details of a local takeaway to hand, and paper plates/cutlery/plastic cups. Made life much easier!

BewareOfTheToddler Fri 03-Nov-17 08:44:39

Oh, and first job on moving in? Make up the beds. Make sure you know where bedding is. You won't want to do it at midnight!

AnaWinter Fri 03-Nov-17 08:49:38

Leave clothes on hangers and put an elastic band over the top. Cover with black bags so you just have to hang when you get to the new place.

Declutter and label everything. Number (and label) boxes and put things you need for the first week in the top 5 - 10 boxes. Open only those on your first day.

Make up the beds as soon as you arrive so you don’t have to do it later when you are exhausted.

Pack up as much of your kitchenware now. Use paper plates/plastic cutlery. We ate out and got takeaways for that week.

AnaWinter Fri 03-Nov-17 08:50:46

Ask your local supermarket/grocery shop for boxes. They are always happy to give them away

jmh740 Fri 03-Nov-17 14:34:17

Thanks everyone for the suggestions have provisionally booked the moovers for Fri they can't do any weekends this year so will pack everything give them the keys and they will move us when were at work they have given us big plastic boxes to pack things in.
Keep the tips coming

LazySusan11 Sat 04-Nov-17 07:06:16

For those who have paid for packers, do you pack some of your own personal things and leave the rest to them? I think I’ll pack our bedroom/clothes and leave the rest to the packers.

ApplesTheHare Sat 04-Nov-17 07:21:45

We packed a few personal things. Doesn't affect the packers as long as you help them to do a proper estimate of how much there is to move (so they can bring the right size van and enough pairs of hands) and get out of the way on they day you book them in to pack. Honestly of all the money we spent moving house the £150 quid for packers was by far the thing I most valued.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now