Talk

Advanced search

Loosing the will to live choosing colours please help

(7 Posts)
Tibby2016 Thu 02-Nov-17 11:41:36

Myself and dp are buying a fixer upper.

It needs all new windows, new render, new fascia etc. But I’m struggling with colours.

It’s a rural 1930s ugly ducking at the moment and I want something that doesn’t look ultra modern.

I was thinking pale grey Georgian bar residence 9 windows with matching front door/French doors at the back and white render but now I’m thinking what colour fascia and guttering....

Please someone make this decision for us.

I have tried to look for inspiration but nothing is exactly what we want..... help!!

Lelivre Thu 02-Nov-17 11:50:28

I quite like white fascia and black guttering. It breaks up all the white. All black can be a bit heavy but sometimes it’s nice.

Tibby2016 Thu 02-Nov-17 11:59:29

With white downspouts? Black guttering would blend in with the roofline. There are 2 apex’s so white would look crisp on those but still in keeping. Thank you for your advice x

sizenines Thu 02-Nov-17 12:21:12

I can recommend you look at what you see locally, and the vernacular/tradition of the region. You may find some surprises that seem to work.

Farrow & Ball 'Railings', a dark grey, is popular at the moment. I have used it where I didn't want a pitch black on the exterior.

The front of my house is an off-white and I'm planning to get the glazed front door resprayed in F&B Hague Blue gloss.

BubblesBuddy Thu 02-Nov-17 12:30:18

Why go for a Georgian look on a 1930s house? Is there nothing you like that suits the period of the house and would enhance it? I suggest you look at pictures of similar houses on the paint sites (eg F and B) and Houzz etc or just goodle 1930s houses. This will give you a much wider spectrum of ideas and colours.

You can get spray on render and these products last lnger than traditional render with a paint top coat. We have had huge problems with traditional render where the builders just have not mixed it correctly. If I was starting from scratch, I would go for coloured render, rather than a paint finish ontp of traditional render. White gets a bit grubby in the countrside but can look great on the right house.

White gutting tends to hide itself better. Depends if you like to see guttering really. Don't mix black and white.

Tibby2016 Thu 02-Nov-17 16:06:34

Most of the houses locally are “cottage like” but are brick or stone with the Georgian bar windows. I think that’s what is leaning me towards those windows.

I love Hague blue it’s so pretty!

I should have mentioned that it looks 1930s now part brick and part render so to make it sit better in the surroundings we thought it would be better to render it all and put some cottage style windows in.

We have been recommended mono couches which is coloured and we were set on an off white/pale grey but I kept thinking what bright white guttering would look like against it.

I had in my head this sort of style but the fascia etc. Just didn’t cross my mind...

Thanks for your comments

Lelivre Thu 02-Nov-17 17:14:39

Ah all the guttering should be the same colour. I had to replace all of mine. I looked around to see what I liked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now