Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What would you do with this 60s fireplace

(59 Posts)
Lelivre Thu 02-Nov-17 10:07:31

The gas fire is broken beyond repair so need to do something. The surround I didn’t mind when moving in as the house is 60s.

But...there are some cracked tiles and we don’t love it.

We are pretty skint. Can we retile it? I keep seeing fairly simple marble or stone used fireplaces on gumtree, is this an option or a nightmare to install.

Or just replace the gas fire for a more contemporary one. I can’t think. Any advice welcome.

parkview094 Thu 02-Nov-17 12:03:07

I actually like your fireplace. I'd be tempted to replace the just the fire and keep the surround.

cavatappi Thu 02-Nov-17 12:07:20

Looks nice to me. I would hesitate before replacing it.

BubblesBuddy Thu 02-Nov-17 12:33:05

I would just replace the fire (ad the brass surround). I can assure you that taking out the whole surround and replacing it will not be cheap and it will be messy. You appear to have lovely decorated walls, so do you want to mess this up? Tiling over the top would be a poor choice I think.

Floralnomad Thu 02-Nov-17 12:37:21

I’d take it out and put a contemporary gas stove in the hole , which would also get rid of the hearth part , although it would mean getting a match on the flooring .

whiskyowl Thu 02-Nov-17 13:16:47

I was going to post earlier that I liked it, then got worried about being excommunicated by the style mafia!! So glad I'm not alone. I think it looks good in your room. If anything, I think the thing that lets it down is the rather 80s gold-trim around the fire - black would look better.

Lelivre Thu 02-Nov-17 14:15:36

Haha!!! This cheered me up!!! I will struggle to get a match on the floor at this point! I like the inset wood burner style ones. I just get sarcastic comments occasionally about the fireplace so I thought perhaps it should go! I may hold onto it now!

Lelivre Thu 02-Nov-17 14:24:12

I’m thinking to keep it now (not worried about painting but don’t want lots of expense and mess I’d you think it’s not too ugly) anyway I’m posting another pic of the fireplace in case anyone wants to reconsider grin

Lelivre Thu 02-Nov-17 14:26:43

Here it is In all it’s glory.

whiskyowl Thu 02-Nov-17 14:26:45

I think a feature like that is a bit like a bold hat. Wear it confidently and you are lauded as a style queen, wear it timidly and it falls flat!! Maybe consider adding some of the nicer mid-century accessories to the mantlepiece that will harmonise with the rest of your decor, yet that will simultaneously make it clear that this is a deliberate choice, not an afterthought?

Lelivre Thu 02-Nov-17 14:30:28

Ok I’ll think about that thanks.
Fire itself is pretty nasty and here when me moves. Yes it will be 80s

Lelivre Thu 02-Nov-17 14:33:47

I would get a fire like this ideally

Floralnomad Thu 02-Nov-17 14:36:46

Here is ours mid being knocked out and after but before painting . It’s made a lot of difference in our lounge which is still a work in progress . Before it had exposed brick and a large hearth sticking out into the room , which was great for stubbing your toe on .

Bluntness100 Thu 02-Nov-17 14:37:09

I like that too, it’s not run of the mill and quite a feature. I’d keep it and do something with the actual fire.

GingerKitCat Thu 02-Nov-17 20:35:57

Get rid of the fire and gold bit, make good the hole and put something decorative inside (candles/ flowers etc)? Or a more modern fire as per above.

I actually quite like the surround grin I'm currently committing a style faux pas with my electric woodburning stove in the fireplace alcove. I only have it for the flickering light, rarely have the fan heater on grin

Can I ask what paint you have on your walls?

Lelivre Fri 03-Nov-17 09:14:35

gingerK - I did mix it but I’ll look at my paint chips and see what’s closest. Friends with two wood burners have a plug in one in another room and it was very cosy and appealing smile

MiaowTheCat Fri 03-Nov-17 09:19:50

I really like it - but I do like 60s stuff in general.

GingerKitCat Fri 03-Nov-17 10:11:22

Thanks! I'm looking at the Dulux teals, your shade looks gorgeous smile

Discotits Fri 03-Nov-17 10:16:33

I think keep it too!
ginger, I have Proud Peacock Dulux teal on my walls, I can recommend.

Lelivre Fri 03-Nov-17 11:37:46

Hi Ginger it’s very very close to Turkish Blue in the fired earth paint chip book. Next closest is F&B stone blue. Still a bit too green in real life for me so toning it down again next time.

Ok so looks like the fireplace will stay and I am all for an easy life. The GAS fire I posted above is £15000!!! So need another modern gas fire option that’s for sure!

keepingbees Fri 03-Nov-17 12:07:47

I’m in a similar position with my fireplace. The fire itself was brass like yours, but scuffed and rusty in places. I bought a can of high heat spray paint from Halfords in matt black for £10 and it’s done the job perfect. It’s made it look more modern for now.
I got a plumber to look at the type of gas fire it was, and typically it’s one that quite expensive to replace. One option would be to have it capped off and replaced with an electric fire, as they are cheaper to buy and install, and they seem to come in a bigger choice on modern designs. But I do like a gas fire, so I’m hanging on for now.

crumpet Fri 03-Nov-17 12:17:19

Would it be possible to paint the mirror the same colour as the wall? The style of mirror frame doesn’t match the fireplace, but it is a great mirror

Justgivemesomepeace Fri 03-Nov-17 12:25:16

I actually really like the surround. The gold fire I would replace with something like you suggested earlier. I don't like the hearth. If you replace the fire with one with a black surround, I would paint the hearth with black tile paint. I painted mine black (I had particularly unattractive bottle green tiles) and it totally transformed it and it looks great.

Lelivre Fri 03-Nov-17 13:40:21

Oooooh there is an idea!!! I like that. I agree it could make a big difference. Might you be persuaded please to post a photo? smile

Mirror looks better in real life it is muted matte gold and the fireplace has a golden bronze trim but I could try another one. I have lots of mirrors. Wouldn’t paint this one as it was a gift.

Angryosaurus Fri 03-Nov-17 13:57:12

I also like it. Looks more late 70s/early 80s to me though. Still suits the period of house so I'd definitely keep it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now